Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
20-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #21

Re: May I ask for everybody's input on this please.

Great to know there are a lot of decent Vets around, I hope the ones round here can take note! Thanks for your help on this, its something that has been worrying me. My Vet doesnt push vaccs and never has, but there are a few that do and fairly forcefully, likewise neutering, which in Cats I am in favour of, but certainly not male dogs, with little or no medical benefit.

Thanks again folks.
Dawn.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
20-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #22

My vets dont push vaccs at all - I had Ginger nearly 3 years before he was vaccinated, and not once had my vet suggested it - even when I first took him, as he was picked up off the streets. The locum vet did try and push the FeLV vacc without testing iether cat though, and tried to deny that cats can have severe reactions to it, but thanks to my knowledge, I didn't allow her to push me into it. And this year, they forgot to send me a reminder!! I dont know if I will bother getting mine done next year, they dont go into catteries - it is more with fostering that I am concerned, but I do think Ginger has a strong immune system.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #23

Dawn, May I add that one of the vets in my practice thinks that animals are over vacc. She however does not push either for or against on her clients. She gives half vacc and charges for half, then the following year does the other half if that makes sence.
As for castration in male dogs. Mine is an entire male. No probs. I had one vet that pushed for him to be castrated. I left that practice (for other reasons) My personal veiw is if it isnt broken dont fix it.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
20-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #24

Sorry to be slightly off topic - Jac, do you realise the risk of testicular cancer with your male dog being unneutered?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
20-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #25

I have to add, my hubby is typical man and thought it was cruel to have one of our other dogs neutered......this was when he thought he wore the trousers and a good few years ago The dog did end up with a huge tumour on his back end and poor love was 12 when this happened and he had to have nuts and the tumour removed If they weren't removed, the vet said he was at risk of it coming back. I always say "If it's got balls, get it done" It is much better and does have it's health benefits

Catsey Veteran

20-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Dawn, May I add that one of the vets in my practice thinks that animals are over vacc. She however does not push either for or against on her clients. She gives half vacc and charges for half, then the following year does the other half if that makes sence.
As for castration in male dogs. Mine is an entire male. No probs. I had one vet that pushed for him to be castrated. I left that practice (for other reasons) My personal veiw is if it isnt broken dont fix it.
Sounds like you have agood Vet there Jac. Testicular tumours in male dogs is very very low, Vets are all for pushing castration for the benefit of the bank not the dog. They never warn of the side effects, like probable weight gain, coat changes, hormone imbalances causing entire males to bonk them, and some dogs suffer severe temperament changes too. My Vet said my dog had a slightly enlarged prostate and should be neutered, and that was the cause of him not being able to poo, strangely enough he pooed fine later that day and a roast potato was to blame!!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
20-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #27

All our animals are vaxxed but only because (as we chose to move away from the kids!) they have to be kennelled when we go away. My vet and the kennels are comfortable with the thought that they do not need doing every year but the kennel insurance co and the Council (kennel license) won't budge.
We only had initial vaxx before we used kennels.
You don't vaccinate & re-vaccinate your kids. They have the full initial course at the appropriate age and then don't have the challenge to their immune sysyem again, except in particular circumstances, like travelling to potentially dangerous places.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tortie
20-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #28

Can I ask you all a couple of questions? Yes

How often do you vaccinate your Cats/dogs? once per yer when the card comes through

Kitten/puppy vaccs only: Boosters every year (for puppy)

Does you Vet push for vaccination and have they ever been negative to you if you have chose not to vaccinate? Never really spoken to them about it, although we have recently changed vets. Never been pushed on us, just get our reminder card through every year. Never been told not to Vacc.

Sadly Missed

Cats owned: Moggie
20-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #29

As I go back to the time before vaccines for dogs and cats I have had various systems of vaccinationg the animals. But for the last twenty/thirty years I had them done as puppies/kittens, a booster at twelve months or so and that was it. All the dogs from 1969 onwards were showdogs, also doing obedience classes and were therefore exposed to plenty of possible infections, with no ill effects. The only time that I had extra vaccination was when parvo arrived in the late 1970s and of course the dogs had no immunity to it then. The cats I had done the same, their kitten innoculations and a booster at twelve months. None of my Vets has queried my decision, in fact my present Vet admitted to me shortly after we moved here that he though multiple vaccinations were more likely to cause problems that prevent them. None of my dogs or cats have died of an infectious disease except for a stray that came to us already infected with AIDS. Logoes

Catsey Veteran

20-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #30

Many thanks to you all.
Dawn.