Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
23-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #1

Hi

Hi,

I am new here.

A little bit about my cats. I have two: a ten year old called Pickle and a 6 year old called Tigger. Both Pickle and Tigger are FIV positive, I would be interested to know if others have FIV postitive cats. They both came (albeit from seperate homes) from my local Cats Protection. I also volunteer for them, I have been there for about 5 years.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

Re: Hi

Hi, and welcome to Catsey! I've been fortunate enough never to have had experience with FIV, but know members here have had, and hope some of them will be along soon to discuss it. I look forward to chatting, hearing about Pickle (love the name!) and Tigger; pics would be nice .... we do love pics!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Dollfaced persian British shorthair
24-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

We have a cat flame who has a very strong heart murmur!

He is just over a year old now and we love him to peices, the vet advised us to not have him tested on as this may be too stressfull for him!
Has anyone delt with this before??
I'm sorry to hear about tigger and pickle (love the names!!) are they okay??

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
24-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #4

hi and welcome to Catsey.. Pickle and Tigger... cute names... what sort of cats are they?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #5

Welcome to Catsey and well done you for taking on those FIV cats. I dont have any personal experience of FIV but there are members here who have. I am also pleased to hear that your CP branch gives them a chance as many would have had them pts.

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #6

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...ivingwithf iv

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fiv/index.php

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/heart/murmurs.html

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #7

Hi and welcome to Catsey

Well done to you for taking on your FIV cats, these cats are so often overlooked but can live happily within the household. As has already been said above, we have members here with FIV cats who, I'm sure will share their experiences with you.

If you need help posting your pics of Pickle and Tigger click here

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
24-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #8

Thanks for the links. I actually had a third cat who was FIV positive, Jack, but I had him pts last August. He had kidney problems, and eventually his kidneys failed, so there was nothing left to do.

Both Pickle and Tigger are just plain moggies, though Pickle has something in him - I am not sure what. He has an unusual rough short coat, rather big feet. He is a tabby.

Pickle was named Pickle as he was found by a vet nurse at one of the local vet surgeries wandering around her area with a limp. At first they thought he was feral, as he would not let anyone touch him, let alone pick him up. He would stay for food, but that is about it. In the end she had to borrow a trap from the RSPCA to catch him. Once they got him into the vet surgery, they found out he was just a big softie really, and not feral. When he was also there, they tested him and found he was FIV positive. The vet nurse named him Pickle, because he was found in a bit of a pickle. He also had scratches and kept on going hot and cold - nobody could work out why. In the end they had to just treat him depending on how he was feeling - if he was hot, then gave him a fan - if he was cold, then extra blankets. Fortunately he managed to sustain a normal temperature, but due to his FIV status, nobody could offer a home - so he came to the Cats Protection.

He also had very bad cystitis initially - literally he was weeing all over the place. In the end he was confined to a single piece of vet bed on the floor - even cats who urinate on the toys, scratching post or the bed are even granted a single plastic bed (they get their ladder and shelf taken off them, as well as the bed on the shelf), but Pickle was so bad, that he was only allowed the basics. We also found out that he was renal, so he is on a special diet for that, after losing Jack, I swore I would not take another renal kitty, but it was too late by then, as I had fallen in love with him.

He also had a very short tail - but that was taken off late January as it kept on getting infected so the vet recommended amputation. So now he has nothing except a slightly bald patch where the hair was shaved and has not grown back properly yet.

Tigger is less complicated. She came from a multi cat household, where they rescued 15 cats and kittens. We get a lot from the estate where she is rescued - the people are very bad down there (so bad there was riots nearly 6 years ago that got into the national papers) so they dont care about the cats. In fact, nearly all the cats we had from there have been in extremely poor condition (from the estate in general, not that particular house). She had 3 kittens with her - and she was tested FIV positive, so her kittens were adopted quickly, but not her. She was actually at the shelter the same time as Jack (the cat I lost in August), but I don't remember her. She was adopted, but returned nearly 3 years later, because the person moved into non pet accommodation. The only health problem is that she has got (other than the FIV) is that she has a flea allergy, but fortunately since I have had her that has not returned. She also required no treatment other than spaying, so she is a easier case than Pickle. Whereas Pickle has had a lot done to him, and visited the vet with me a few times (8 times since October), all she has had to date is her booster. We are not sure how she got the name Tigger, she was named that by the people she originally came from, so she has kept it since. She is actually very good for a tortie!

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #9

Touching tales of how they came to be in your good hands and i wish them both all the very best.
I have experienced the emotional roller coaster of CRF, and am sorry that you also lost a cat to it.
Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing their pictures and reading more about their personalities.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
24-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #10

Hi & well done for taking on FIV cats. I have 4 cats. Have had a few FIV foster cats as I too help with my local CP.