Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: wild cat
14-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #1

Loose stools

Whisky usually has loose stools and is a bit farty! It's never proper diarrhea and he is never ill with it, but most days he is slightly loose!

He is around 6 months old now and is fed on James Well Beloved dried kitten food along with wet food of at least 50% meat content such as natures menu and high life. He is a bit of a pig so often gets more than he should, I frequently have to feed them seperately so that he doesn't eat Sookie's food too If she leaves any he will finish it though!

He is pretty much an indoor cat so is not eating odd things while out! He has had advocat worm and flea treatment. My other cat Sookie has no problems!

What do you think could be causing this in Whiskey, do you think a change of diet could help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

Re: Loose stools

Where did he come from and has he had it since you got him. If it has been an ongoing problem my first thought would be an ongoing infection like campylobacter and I would take a pooh sample into the vet for it to analyized.

Catsey Junior

14-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Where did he come from and has he had it since you got him. If it has been an ongoing problem my first thought would be an ongoing infection like campylobacter and I would take a pooh sample into the vet for it to analyized.
yes he has had it since I got him as a small kitten on and off not consistently. He has had the odd normal poo period every so often!

He just seems to be in the litter tray all the time and now he is getting older I would have expected his digestive system to have settled down! He does eat alot though!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #4

I'd get a sample and ask them to run some tests too. It's not normal that his poo should be loose as often as it is.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
14-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

How much dry kibble are you feeding? Tim has always had problems with dry food. It was controlled as he got mostly wet food (natures menu) with a good pinch of dry food over it (Royal Canin) which is the dry kibble the rescue feed. Anything more on the dry kibble & Tim is loose or has diarrhea. Since Amber came - she likes dry food, ive been putting more in her dish. Sometimes they have gone to each others dishes & i admit i never
thought. Two days this week he was very loose & yesterday we had full blown diarrhea. Went through mountain of litter!

I suspect its the "maize" ingredient as maize is a product that quite a few dogs cant tolerate. Try cutting his dry kibble out or down to see if it helps. Check the ingredients to see whats in the kibble. Things like maize, corn, oats etc can cause irritants.

I stopped all cat food & substituted with chopped cooked chicken breast fed little & often & then today started to gradually introduce his wet food again. Im going to keep
him off dry kibble for a while. If your kitten (sounds same age as Tim) has flatuence, he is getting food that doesnt agree.

Catsey Junior

15-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
How much dry kibble are you feeding? Tim has always had problems with dry food. It was controlled as he got mostly wet food (natures menu) with a good pinch of dry food over it (Royal Canin) which is the dry kibble the rescue feed. Anything more on the dry kibble & Tim is loose or has diarrhea. Since Amber came - she likes dry food, ive been putting more in her dish. Sometimes they have gone to each others dishes & i admit i never
thought. Two days this week he was very loose & yesterday we had full blown diarrhea. Went through mountain of litter!

I suspect its the "maize" ingredient as maize is a product that quite a few dogs cant tolerate. Try cutting his dry kibble out or down to see if it helps. Check the ingredients to see whats in the kibble. Things like maize, corn, oats etc can cause irritants.

I stopped all cat food & substituted with chopped cooked chicken breast fed little & often & then today started to gradually introduce his wet food again. Im going to keep
him off dry kibble for a while. If your kitten (sounds same age as Tim) has flatuence, he is getting food that doesnt agree.
I do leave dry down all the time as my other cat eats mainly dry! I have just checked and it does have maize in. Is there dried food that doesn't contain these irritants?

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #7

I was doing a quick search on the web last night and most of them do have maize + I was checking when in Tesco this morning and same there altho some said "cereals" so you havent really a clue what they have in them.

I have emailed a couple of companies to ask if they put maize in their cat food so guess it will be next week before they get back to me. Even Burns put maize in their food

Now i am on the trail though I will keep looking. Could you put your cats on set meal times? I know its awkward but it might help your kitten. Off the dry food Tim is now back to normal pooh -

Footnote:
I found the following whilst searching on the web - makes sobering reading

Although many people rely on dry cat food as a staple for their cats' diets, canned cat food is a must for developing strong bones and muscles, while mitigating many potential conditions caused or contributed to by an all-dry cat food diet. It's true that dry cat food is convenient; it doesn't spoil rapidly, and most cats like the "crunch" of eating dry kibbles. However, dry cat food has its definite "downside." Cats who eat a diet of only dry food are losing out on the extra nutrition they can get with canned cat food. Many commercial dry foods are packed with carbohydrate fillers, usually corn, listed as "corn meal," "ground whole corn," "corn gluten," or even more thinly disguised as "maize," "ground yellow maize" or other misleading names. The ingredients listings are often split, which gives the consumer a false impression of the true proportion of carbohydrate to protein, e.g., "Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice..." Of the first six listed ingredients of this popular "grocery store premium" brand, four are carbohydrates, with the combined corn ingredients leading the list. I'd pass this food by, simply because of the first listed ingredient, poultry by-product meal, but that's another article.

In the wild, a cat will eat only a very small quantity of any grain, namely the stomach contents of mice, rabbits, or birds he catches. Why then, should a pampered household cat eat a diet that is loaded with the one food nutrient he really doesn't need? Although french fries and Twinkies might be tasty treats on occasion, what human would consider living on them day in and day out, much less feed them to their children as a regular diet? Why then, would we do less for our cats?

Dry cat food can also contribute or be directly related to certain health conditions:

Feline Diabetes
Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM, does not mince words about the connection between dry cat food and feline diabetes. On her web site at www.yourdiabeticcat.com, she states, "Without the constant feeding of highly processed, high carbohydrate dry foods, better suited to cattle than cats, adult-onset feline diabetes would be a rare disease, if it occured at all."
IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)
Dr. Lisa Pierson, DVM, states, "Too often these cats are treated with a high level of steroids and a so-called 'prescription' DRY diet. I feel very strongly that this common therapeutic regimen needs to be re-evaluated. There are an impressive number of anecdotal reports of cats that were terribly ill with IBD exhibiting dramatic improvement when ALL dry food was removed from their diet."
CRF (Chronic Renal Failure)
Dr. Lisa Pierson, DVM, states, "It is troubling to think about the role that chronic dehydration plays in feline kidney failure. And remember, cats are chronically dehydrated when they are on a diet of predominantly dry food."
Urinary crystals and cystitus
The chances of bladder crystals or bladder inflammation are greatly reduced with a canned or raw food diet, which both give the essential hydration needed for a healthy urinary tract.
Diarrhea
Diarrhea and other allergy-related conditions are often caused by corn or wheat fillers in dry cat food. After eliminating other potential medical causes, switching to canned or raw food can make the diarrhea go away almost overnight.
Dehydration
Cats on canned food diets or raw food get sufficient water in their food. Cats on dry food alone must be given plenty of water, especially during hot summer months.
[by Danielle707 on May 29th, 2010 ] - taken from a questions/answer website

Catsey Veteran

15-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #8

FOUND ONE:!!

http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acat...ial_sizes.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I was doing a quick search on the web last night and most of them do have maize + I was checking when in Tesco this morning and same there altho some said "cereals" so you havent really a clue what they have in them.

I have emailed a couple of companies to ask if they put maize in their cat food so guess it will be next week before they get back to me. Even Burns put maize in their food

Now i am on the trail though I will keep looking. Could you put your cats on set meal times? I know its awkward but it might help your kitten. Off the dry food Tim is now back to normal pooh -

Footnote:
I found the following whilst searching on the web - makes sobering reading

Although many people rely on dry cat food as a staple for their cats' diets, canned cat food is a must for developing strong bones and muscles, while mitigating many potential conditions caused or contributed to by an all-dry cat food diet. It's true that dry cat food is convenient; it doesn't spoil rapidly, and most cats like the "crunch" of eating dry kibbles. However, dry cat food has its definite "downside." Cats who eat a diet of only dry food are losing out on the extra nutrition they can get with canned cat food. Many commercial dry foods are packed with carbohydrate fillers, usually corn, listed as "corn meal," "ground whole corn," "corn gluten," or even more thinly disguised as "maize," "ground yellow maize" or other misleading names. The ingredients listings are often split, which gives the consumer a false impression of the true proportion of carbohydrate to protein, e.g., "Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice..." Of the first six listed ingredients of this popular "grocery store premium" brand, four are carbohydrates, with the combined corn ingredients leading the list. I'd pass this food by, simply because of the first listed ingredient, poultry by-product meal, but that's another article.

In the wild, a cat will eat only a very small quantity of any grain, namely the stomach contents of mice, rabbits, or birds he catches. Why then, should a pampered household cat eat a diet that is loaded with the one food nutrient he really doesn't need? Although french fries and Twinkies might be tasty treats on occasion, what human would consider living on them day in and day out, much less feed them to their children as a regular diet? Why then, would we do less for our cats?

Dry cat food can also contribute or be directly related to certain health conditions:

Feline Diabetes
Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM, does not mince words about the connection between dry cat food and feline diabetes. On her web site at www.yourdiabeticcat.com, she states, "Without the constant feeding of highly processed, high carbohydrate dry foods, better suited to cattle than cats, adult-onset feline diabetes would be a rare disease, if it occured at all."
IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)
Dr. Lisa Pierson, DVM, states, "Too often these cats are treated with a high level of steroids and a so-called 'prescription' DRY diet. I feel very strongly that this common therapeutic regimen needs to be re-evaluated. There are an impressive number of anecdotal reports of cats that were terribly ill with IBD exhibiting dramatic improvement when ALL dry food was removed from their diet."
CRF (Chronic Renal Failure)
Dr. Lisa Pierson, DVM, states, "It is troubling to think about the role that chronic dehydration plays in feline kidney failure. And remember, cats are chronically dehydrated when they are on a diet of predominantly dry food."
Urinary crystals and cystitus
The chances of bladder crystals or bladder inflammation are greatly reduced with a canned or raw food diet, which both give the essential hydration needed for a healthy urinary tract.
Diarrhea
Diarrhea and other allergy-related conditions are often caused by corn or wheat fillers in dry cat food. After eliminating other potential medical causes, switching to canned or raw food can make the diarrhea go away almost overnight.
Dehydration
Cats on canned food diets or raw food get sufficient water in their food. Cats on dry food alone must be given plenty of water, especially during hot summer months.
[by Danielle707 on May 29th, 2010 ] - taken from a questions/answer website
Thanks for that very clear and informative article. Our vet here, Dr. Michael Fox, says the same things. Dry may be very convenient and very tasty to the cat but not good at all as a primary food.

Catsey Junior

16-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #10

thanks

It says that Applaws is cereal free too, I have used it before but might try it again to see whether it makes a difference as it is more redily available. My 2 have predominently wet but I like to keep some dry down too as at least I know that Sookie will get some food if Whisky eats all the wet food
http://mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws_dry...tion=app laws

I think the Burns fish one might be too, but not sure as the other varieties definately have cereal fillers! http://burnspet.co.uk/cat/product_ocean_fish.asp Although I have Burns wet food in the cupboard and the cats have to be starving before they will eat it!