Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #11

Re: Eating cat litter!

Sorry you are going through so much worry Yola, I have no idea why he is licking the litter- I did wonder if the antepsin has cause a mineral imbalance if he hasn't done this before. If he is aneamic you need to find out if it is non-regenerative, the vet can tell by the bloods. Jimmy and Misty are at this stage and the vet initially suggested that a blood transfusion would be the solution but it would need to be done routinely and wouldn't be practical, we then decide to put them onto anabolic steriods, it seems to be helping, both cats blood levels had stayed stable, but what things would be like without itI have no idea ( they also get vit B inections.)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #12

Thanks Farthing; there are some similarities about what you write in terms of Jimmy's symptoms to those of Balie; IBS is one of the considerations here too.

They are also going to test for pancreatitis, which is something that nearly killed me back in 1995 although vet seems to think it is less acute in cats and more of a 'slow burn' kind of illness.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Thanks Farthing; there are some similarities about what you write in terms of Jimmy's symptoms to those of Balie; IBS is one of the considerations here too.

They are also going to test for pancreatitis, which is something that nearly killed me back in 1995 although vet seems to think it is less acute in cats and more of a 'slow burn' kind of illness.
Cassie was hospitalised for 5 days with tri-pancreatitis about 5 or 6 years ago. The vet did say that pancreatitis is very hard to diagnose in a cat. She was lethargic, didn't eat, didn't move and growled when she was touched. She was given numerous drugs, had tubes inserted and we were warned that she was extremely ill and may not make it. We were allowed to bring her home with all her meds a few days before Christmas, she wasn't eating properly but would lick the occasional tasty morsel from our fingers.

It was about two or three months before we could say she was back to her normal self again.

I hope you get a diagnosis of some sort from your vet soon, Yola and really hope it's not pancreatitis.