Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #1

Eating cat litter!

Balie has been back to the vet because he has started vomiting again, although no blood in it this time. We will be doing more blood tests towards the end of next week + possibly an ultrasound scan as this won't require any anaesthetics which is something both the vet and I are not comfortable with. Balie has lost further weight and now stands at 2.82kg down from 2.92 a month ago He's on his 'milk of magnesia for cats' which at least suppresses the worst of the sickness.

My worry apart from all this is that he has started licking his cat litter. It's the grey clay clumping one. On the one hand it does clump, but when granules are dropped in water it dissolves to powder. He's never done this before but there are areas of it that are quite wet when I get in from work.

Should I be concerned? Will it cause him a blockage? The vet didn't seem over perturbed but I'm not so sure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #2

Re: Eating cat litter!

I wonder what comfort Balie is getting from licking the litter Yola. I've not come across this before and can't offer any advise. If your vet isn't concerned ........ it's easy to say don't worry but anything out of the ordinary is worrying isn't it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #3

I've never heard of this, Yola, but would worry too. I have heard of pica, which is eating unsuitable things like dirt in an apparent attempt to self-medicate for needed minerals in the diet ....???? Poor Bailie, between him and Fifi you have certainly had a lot of problems lately; fingers crossed, (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
08-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #4

Poor Balie, they're such a worry when they do strange things, I read somewhere that it could be a symptom of anaemia....?...... is there a possibility that it might cause a blockage if he's actually eating the litter? Hope the ultrasound comes up with some answers.

Catsey Veteran

08-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Well, Fifi's always been one for licking walls, concrete floors, bricks etc., but as she's done that since she was little I don't worry about it too much.

Balie's stools have become really pale - now this might be because I'm trying him on different foods to try and get him to eat (just been spoon-feeding him); or maybe because I ran out of persian RC and fed him some sensitive tummy RC instead.

I AM worried that this stuff might cause a blockage as it's hard to tell how much he's ingesting. I'm at home today so can watch him a little more closely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Yola, i was thinking along the same lines as Eileen and wondering if it's a form of Pica because he's missing something in his diet. You would think the vet would know though. Maybe you could have a look on the internet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

I did have a look on the internet and cats are subject to pica. As MrsH mentioned, eating clay litter is often a sign of anemia, and can cause intestinal blockage. I'm surprised your vet didn't mention it.

How is he now, Yola?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Many CRF cats do this and yes it is or can be a sign of anemia. Given his weight loss and his vomitting, I would be very concerned. Sorry Yola, I'd like to say something mre possitive.
There are several causes for anemia but it can be treated, I'd get those blod tests sooner rather than later.

http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm#what_is_anaemia

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #9

GIven his weight loss I'd be concerned he is eating anything other than good food. The links and info above certainly indicate that it is something he'd be better off not doing. Can't think how to stop him doing it though.

Bloods results will help, hope you get the results soon.

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #10

Thanks for the info and links. I suspect there is something not so good underlying all this, and the litter eating is symptomatic of whatever ails hm. The vet detected a 'thickening' of the stomach lining/membranes when she felt his tummy hence the wish for an u/s scan.

He's been doing less litter-licking in the last 24 hours, because essentially I've been plonking him in the litter tray and supervising his toiletting!

He's a lot brighter today though and has been eating like a horse.