Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #21

Re: Jimmy struggling to swallow?

Hope Jimmy improves farthing

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #22

Well, I went to feed Jimmy this morning and he was keen to eat, however he immediately threw the food back up. My heart sank into my boots, but I had a wee feel and could tell he needed to pooh. I gave him an enema and he went to the litter tray about 15 mins later, he did a huge amount of digging and I thought that if he was on deaths door he wouldn't put that much energy into his toileting. He passed another good sized pooh ( sorry folks ) and went back to his bed. I offered him some food again a bit later and he kept it down , I have been giving him about 1/3 of a tray at a time and every time he sees me he wanders over to the toilet door, looking for more ( I'm feeding him in the toilet so nobody else hijacks his meal).
I did wonder if the zantac may also be helping move his bowel ( in rabbits it can act as a gut motility agent) I spoke to the vet but she didn't know but as there is no risk in using it we will keep him on it over the weekend and see how he goes. I genuinely think he had just got severely blocked up because I have been feeding him extra and his system couldn't take it. I will continue to feed extra but will also be extra vigilant about him toilets. Fingers crossed I'm right.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #23

Poor chap - I don't fancy every being that blocked up! I wonder if that has been his problem. I really hope so, and that as it has started clearing through, he will be able to keep his food down.

You know I'm rooting for Jimmy!

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #24

Just found this,
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2122&aid=3471.

zantac is ranitadine and it is also a colonic prokinetic drug.

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #25

Would it help to add pumpkin to Jimmy's diet as they are in season? I suppose that in a cat like Jimmy who has multiple other problems, a supposedly "simpler" solution could be overlooked by a vet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #26

Fingers crossed for Jimmy, farthing. Sometimes we know our Pets better than the vets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #27

Agree with Shelley! Fingers crossed for Jimmy here too......

Catsey Veteran

09-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Would it help to add pumpkin to Jimmy's diet as they are in season? I suppose that in a cat like Jimmy who has multiple other problems, a supposedly "simpler" solution could be overlooked by a vet.
I don't know about pumpkin, the bit of reading I've done says that if bulking up the diet doesn't work then the cat should go on to the opposite kind of diet, one of highly digestable food that will, I assume, produce a little amout of waste. My other concern is that the vets are convinced this is all caused by a form of IBD so we try to avoid too many changes to his diet.

He's had another zantac injection and an enema this evening- and had another pooh. He has eaten well all day but wasn't interested at teatime, but I could feel he was a bit bunged up again. I'm off to give him a small amount of food again so it will be interesting to see if he will eat now. I am just so glad he wants to eat and is managing to keep it down.

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #29

It's very good news that he is eating and keeping it down. Well done Jimmy (and farthing too!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #30

How is he now, farthing?