Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
17-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #11

Re: Chippy all 'ballooned' up

The blood tests are back but the vet hasn't managed to look at the results yet.

I only spoke with the receptionist who (just from reading the bit of paper) was able to tell me that hypothyroidism had been ruled out but there was something to do with the liver which she herself wasn't able to explain.

I've to call tomorrow mid morning by which point the vet will have had time to look at the results and tell me what's going on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #12

Well, at least it's not the thyroid, hope whatever it is will be simple and treatable; do let us know how Chippy's doing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #13

Sorry you haven't got the results yet, it must be horrible having to wait. Fingers crossed that whatever is wrong can be treated.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
18-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #14

Spoke to the vet this morning. Blood test shows that liver enzymes are raised but nothing conclusive.
Vet said that she's not sure what to do next- she could xray and see if that shows anything but says it probably wouldn't lead to a proper diagnosis but may show if there's a tumour.
Alternatively, or as well, she could try to drain some of the fluid with a needle in the abdomen (which would require anaesthetic etc) and test the fluid but again although that might give us more information it wouldn't necessarily give a definite diagnosis.

Either way the vet thinks the outcome probably isn't going to be a good one and given Chippy's age etc she doesn't know if we'd want to put her through all that when ultimately we might be no further forward.

She's suggested we think about it over the weekend and give her a call on Monday.

At the moment Chippy shows no sign that she is in pain or distress, she is just her normal self apart from her big belly. Our gut instinct is not to put her through lots of poking and prodding and invasive tests- she would hate it and ultimately the vet thinks the outcome is unlikely to be a positive one.

She is currently curled up in the sunshine in the kitchen having a snooze.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #15

I am sorry to read this Phil. How old is Chippy?

You seem to be feeling that as she does not seem to be in pain at the moment you will leave her be. It's a difficult balancing act, isn't it, whether to put a much loved cat through procedures which they certainly wouldn't choose themselves, or to leave things to nature. As your vet has ruled out things that are treated with medication, I think I would probably just let her curl up in the sunshine as much as possible. Please give Chippy a gentle cuddle from me.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
18-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #16

She's 16, so a pretty good age. We just don't think she'd thank us for puting her through a whole load of tests etc, we'd rather give her lots of love and dignity in what time she has left with us and when/if she appears to be in pain or distress let her go peacefully.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #17

Hard decision. my instinct would be as Angie has said; wait and let her enjoy life while she's able; you will know when the time comes. So sad

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #18

Sorry the news wasn't better for Chippy.
Maybe someone on the forum or the vets can suggest a liver cleansing diet, i know there's one for Dogs. Also there may be suppliments to help with liver problems. Our last Basenji was on Samylin.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #19

Just to clarify, has a thyroid test been sent off?
Liver enzymes are often raised when a cat is hyperthyroid and, as we found with Donald they can retain fluid due to heart failure caused by the hyperthyroid condition.
If she has liver problem, certainly with Deli the dalmation, they are put on antibiotics and samilyn, also a renal diet- I'm sure the same is available for cats, if not milk thistle extract helps with liver issues.
Sorry to read this, our oldies are such a worry.

Fondly Remembered

Phil is Male
19-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #20

thyroid results came back as normal so that was ruled out.
Will have further discussion with vet tomorrow about the various options but certainly from what she said yesterday she doesn't want to give treatment until she has a diagnosis but she doesn't think getting a difinitive diagnosis is going to be easy