Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #31

Re: Chloe and Misty have Fleas!!! Help!!

Hope you have the fleas under control now, it does take a few days for all the fleas to go after the cats have been treated as they will only die after they have bitten the cat and ingested the frontline, so all the fleas around the house and those just hatching e.t.c. need to bite one of the girls before they die, if that makes sense? So It will take a while if you don't treat the house. But take all the cushions up off your sofa and THOROUGHLY hoover EVERYWHERE, as DM said, bit of ant powder or flea powder in the hoover will kill them in there.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
15-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
Hope you have the fleas under control now, it does take a few days for all the fleas to go after the cats have been treated as they will only die after they have bitten the cat and ingested the frontline, so all the fleas around the house and those just hatching e.t.c. need to bite one of the girls before they die, if that makes sense? So It will take a while if you don't treat the house. But take all the cushions up off your sofa and THOROUGHLY hoover EVERYWHERE, as DM said, bit of ant powder or flea powder in the hoover will kill them in there.
Well there appears to be less scabs on Chloe's back so that is a good sign. They do still scratch/twitch a bit so think there are less fleas, but not all gone. I know it will take ages to get rid of them so will make sure I am up to date on treatments from now on

I did spray around the house, and hoover and clean everywhere so hopefully I have minimized the problem.

The flea tablets arrived today - not quite sure how I am gonna get them to eat a tablet though as they have never taken one since they were born

Not sure whether to do the tablet now the fleas seem to be going slowly..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #33

I think I'd check with the vet before giving (or trying to!) the tablets. It may be a bit of overkill; not sure if it would be good for them in conjunction with the dosage they've already had........ ???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #34

IF you decide to give them the pill Donna - don't be alarmed. The cats will react to the fleas which twitch as they die. Doesn't last long, but would be concerning if you are not prepared.

I don't think it will hurt - the rescue centres use these pills routinely when they take in a new cat just to make sure there are none hopping. It won't kill eggs and larvae however.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #35

I did give them the pill in the end.. both had it easily mixed up with some of their dinner... I didnt notice any strange behaviour so I assume there are not many fleas to twitch and cause the cats some strange behaviour!

I think I am over panic mode!

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #36

That's good news Donna. You just need to make sure that any eggs or larvae are hoovered up and fingers crossed, that should solve the problem.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
15-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #37

Glad to hear they're on the way out.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
That's good news Donna. You just need to make sure that any eggs or larvae are hoovered up and fingers crossed, that should solve the problem.
The kids think I have OCD at the moment with my cleaning

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #39

Thought I would update as I was a bit OTT with worry over this!!

Seem to have things under control. All the scabs have gone from Chloe which must mean the fleas are dying/dead..

I sprayed the whole house and the frontline and flea tablet seems to have worked. I will make sure I dont forget the cats flea treatment again!!

Thanks for all the advice - it kept me sane!

Catsey Veteran

26-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #40

So glad you have been successful Donna. It's horrid, I know - I don't blame you for panicking. Glad that us Catseyers could help.