Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #21

Re: Chloe and Misty have Fleas!!! Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
That makes it difficult! All of mine have loved being combed, so never a problem. Will Misty let you comb her?

She not that happy about coming either.. but she isnt bothered by the fleas it appears... she has no scabs or anything...

Both cats are hiding out of my way!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #22

I would try to keep up the combing and phone your vet for advice on Monday. But to be honest, when my poor elderly Merlin had fleas in his final year, the vets were no help at all. I used one Capstar tablet, household spray and sticky roller. Unfortunately the fleas had done their job and Merlin was anaemic. I couldn't really comb him because he was terribly thin by then.

Best thing is - learn about the life cycle of the flea and attack them at all stages.

I may have a few Capstar tablets left - if they are still in date, I would be happy to send you a couple. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Catsey Veteran

11-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I would try to keep up the combing and phone your vet for advice on Monday. But to be honest, when my poor elderly Merlin had fleas in his final year, the vets were no help at all. I used one Capstar tablet, household spray and sticky roller. Unfortunately the fleas had done their job and Merlin was anaemic. I couldn't really comb him because he was terribly thin by then.

Best thing is - learn about the life cycle of the flea and attack them at all stages.

I may have a few Capstar tablets left - if they are still in date, I would be happy to send you a couple. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
That would be very kind - I am happy to send whatever they cost to you! Can the tablets be used in conjunction with the spot on ?

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #24

I am very sorry to say that my remaining tablets are out of date Donna. I would have been happy to send a couple to you no problem. However, out of date tablets are never a good idea (Nov 2009) as you can't be sure they will still work.

You can buy them on the Internet. I've had a look this morning and found this site. You only need to use one at a time per cat and you can use it in conjunction with a spot-on. I would ring your vet tomorrow and tell them the Frontline is not working and ask for an alternative. Stronghold is good, as is Advocate.

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #25

Thanks, I will order some tablets. I will have to get the vet to prescribe something better than Frontline, cos I cant go through this again!

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #26

Good luck - I know what it's like and sympathise. My OH, who in the past has not been troubled with flea bites has multiple bites just now. We think Harley is the carrier and have just given him Advocate yesterday (he'd had Stronghold before). Hope we have enough time to make sure the fleas and their "stages" are cleared before the central heating goes on, or we'll all be hopping!

Let us know how you, Chloe and Misty get on.

Catsey Veteran

12-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #27

I have just ordered the tablets.. hope they come quick!! If the fleas dont go away after that I dont know what I will do!!

Will speak to vet about different flea treatments I think!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
14-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #28

capstar is also sold as 4 fleas (johnson & johnsons) and as a bob martyn product, they're all the same pill just diffrant name

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #29

Thanks for that fancyabrew - I didn't know that.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
14-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #30

be aware that if the cat has quite a few fleas it will go BONKERS after 30mins or so of being given a pill, and is likely to run around and scratch/lick for quite sometime after. It does say this on the packet, and is normal but it can look a little concerning