Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: domestic, black & white
09-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Not sure what to do!

I've had Poppy for nearly 4 weeks, she's an indoor cat and I adopted her from a cattery where she had been for a year because social services couldn't sign her over. My worry is that I notice that when she grooms herself it is as though she bites her fur and I can see tonight that she has a bit of a bald patch on her front which I haven't noticed before.

She has been to the vet recently due to ear mites and he checked her over and physically she is well and eating etc. She is very affectionate and generally seems reallly happy so I'm not sure what to do.

My concern is that it may be anxiety due to her moving somewhere different? Any advice would be very welcome!

Thank you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

Re: Not sure what to do!

If there are no signs of parasites and she is eating and toileting normally, stress could be the issue.
I would give a feliway diffuser a try, it is a plug in that releases 'feel good' pheremones and can help make a cat more relaxed. It doesn't work with every cat but I have had success with it many times. Other than that, just give her time to settle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

Have you double-checked for fleas? If she is clear, I would certainly try the Feliway. You can get it cheaper online than from your vet. Rescue Remedy is available at most chemists - you could try rubbing a couple of drops between your fingers and then on Poppy's ears. That is meant to have a calming effect too.

Cats owned: domestic, black & white
09-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Thank you both for your advice. Angieh, she definitely hasn't got fleas, I've checked even though she was frontlined a couple of months ago and then had further drops a couple of weeks ago. Just think she's finding the change stressful even though she seems happy! I will be ordering Feliway! I'll keep you updated!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #5

If there's nothing physical it sounds like behavioural to me. Just give her time; some quiet space, love and cuddles when she needs them but otherwise let her settle in her own way/time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #6

I can't improve at all on the excellent advice above. Give her time.