Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
05-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

How do you help a cat to lose weight?

We took the cats to the vets on friday for their annual booster and health check. Harry and Vinnie have no problems healthwise. Lola on the other hand is apparently 'very overweight' for her age and size.

I feel rotten as I didn't think that she was overweight - she doesn't look it. The vet even got out a second set of scales just to make sure it was accurate, as she wasn't convinced either. Lola is actually heavier than Vinnie who is a very big boy!

Lola has always been obsessed with her food, ever since the day I found her. Now I have to help her to lose weight, does anybody have any advice or tips on how to do this? If she was my only cat it wouldn't be as difficult, but they all play outdoors all day and are in all night, so they are in and out eating all day. They eat Science Plan or Royal Cannin (the only 2 foods that they will eat) and about a tablespoon of Gourmet wet food in the morning and one in the evening. They much prefer the dry food. The wet food I can control, but cannot think how I can control the dry food intake.

I was also thinking about ways of increasing Lola's excercise, but that bit is easy as she loves to chase ribbons and string, so I will just have to play with her more!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
05-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Re: How do you help a cat to lose weight?

Playing with her is, as you say, the easy bit. Would it be possible to give them all a 'light' diet but try and give the boys an extra feed alone at night when they are all in?

Or when tey come in for a feed remove her for'playtime'?

Difficult when you have the three.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Kizzy had a bit of a weight problem before we bought Pip home. One good way to get a cat to lose weight is to introduce a kitten to play with. Sorry, that's probably not very helpful! Weighing out their dry food will work too, but obviously is more difficult when you have three cats.

Catsey Senior

05-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Playing with her is, as you say, the easy bit. Would it be possible to give them all a 'light' diet but try and give the boys an extra feed alone at night when they are all in?

Or when tey come in for a feed remove her for'playtime'?

Difficult when you have the three.
Those are good ideas actually. I will give them a try! Thank you.

Catsey Senior

05-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Kizzy had a bit of a weight problem before we bought Pip home. One good way to get a cat to lose weight is to introduce a kitten to play with. Sorry, that's probably not very helpful! Weighing out their dry food will work too, but obviously is more difficult when you have three cats.
Thanks, Oh how I would love another kitten!! But my OH isn't having any of that (for now)!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Part of the problem with feeding dry food is that it is much higher in calories than wet food. I'd try increasing the wet food and using a light dry food, weighi9ng out how much they should have and increasing play.
Is it possible that she is getting food else where? If so maybe even try putting a collar on her saying "please do not feed" might help.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

Am glad I found this. Benny is getting really fat. He is also eating more as he has a scoff at Caspers food as well. I also think he is being fed elsewhere. He wont wear a collar so I cant ask them to stop feeding him. Maybe when he accepts Casper he will play with him and get a bit more exercise!