Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Donald.

Donald is settling in well and eating like a horse. He is very bright and lively.
My only concern for the moment is that he is drinking and peeing a lot. His bloods weren't too bad- urea a bit up but all else fine, although I fully expect his kidneys to show some level of deterioration once his thyroid levels are reduced. He isn't diabeteic, he could have FIP but not aware of them drinking/ peeing a lot ( any info on this would be good), although they apparenty feel quite well while having the symptoms. His liver was fine.
I guess I am just asking for any ideas to throw at the vets to check out. He is now settled so I think its time we really find out what is going on and whether we can do anything about it. I guess a scan and x-rays ( if he is fit enough) are the first steps, to look at heart and for tumours.
Any other ideas welcome.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Re: Donald.

Glad to hear the dear old boy is settling in well. I don't know enough about ailments to even venture a guess; perhaps some of our more knowledgable members will have some ideas ..... Elaine??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #3

Yes, same here I'm afraid farthing. Lovely to know that Donald has settled well. Lovely old lad.

Catsey Veteran

06-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

Donald is not looking quite so bright today, he didn't eat his breakfast with the same relish, although it may be the effect of the vidalta. He is also loosing hair on his chest, it looks like a mitey rabbit hair loss. I called the vet and she said to give him another advocate and a shot of betamox. I also spoke to her about the drinking and peeing and she thinks it could be his kidneys. He is due in next week for more blood tests but she doesn't think x-rays and scans will help- its not going to change how we treat him.
She said she didn't think he would still be here and is surprised he is doing so well. I thought he was looking quite good and even though he is less bright today he still runs over to see you and jump on your knee.
I'm off now to give him his meds ( along with jimmy who is a bit snottery again) and see how he is tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

06-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Oh dear, sorry he doesn't seem as bright as before; and actually taken aback at the vet's remark about him not being here! A tribute to your care IMO; hope his meds will help. Poor old boy, he does sound happy with you ....

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

I think Donald was coming down with a snotty nose again because I found some phlemmy stuff in his water, I have to give him another shot tonight and again on Friday, but he's eaten like a horse since that morning.

Catsey Veteran

08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #7

Sorry to hear that Donald isn't so bright. Poor lad. I will ask Kizzy to speak to The Great Cat with me tonight.

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Angie, your chats with the great cat must work wonders.

Donald was in today for blood tests and the vet was amazed. The fliud is gone from his abdomen, his coat is much better, his heart is mich better and she is much more postive about his future.
We are now sure he doesn't have FIP and that the hyperthyroidism was causing his heart to go into failure causing the fluid in his belly. Another couple of weeks and he will be joining the rest of the family.

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #9

I am so glad that Donald's future is looking brighter farthing. Probably more due to your good care, but who's to say?

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #10

What happy news about dear old Donald! Loving care + Great Cat seem to be working just fine May it continue.....