Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
23-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Oli had his dental today ...

Oli had his dental this morning and we picked him up at 5:30 this evening.

He went in to have one tooth out and his other teeth to be descaled and whatever they do. This should have been £150.

When I arrived at the surgery they persuaded me that it would be a good idea to have his bloods taken first to check he has healthy functioniong liver and stuff (I say stuff because I am unsure what!). Ok I thought. As they have said they strongly recommend this, he MUST have it. That was another £40.

They said they would check his bloods first, if that was all clear he would have the dental, which he did - BUT they ended up taking 2 teeth out.

When I picked him up the price had gone up to £218.

They said something about painkillers and antibiotics for 14 days. After paying I realised that we didnt have any tablets - so I asked and they said this was all intravenous (injected?) However, I am concerned that an injection could not possibly last that long???

He is home and wearily walking around the house. He loved his white fish for tea and has even tried to eat some of his biscuits (very cautiously!)

We are going back on Friday for a post of check but should he be ok for pain relief and antibiotics?!

Thanks (and sorry for the long post)

Tanya xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Re: Oli had his dental today ...

There is a long lasting antibiotic called convenia, not sure if I spelt that right. Dentals are an expensive business but left untreated bad teath and gums can have a detrimental effect on the heart and or kidneys.
Glad he enjoyed his fish, my Bernie was very very wobbly when he came hme from his dental a few weeks back, but was right as rain by the time i went to bed.

Almost a Veteran Member

23-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Did they give you a detailed list of everything he had???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
23-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Was just going to mention convenia! The problem with dentals is that once the teeth have been scaled and cleaned it can highlight other teeth that may need to be extracted.
Glad Oli's bloods were good and he's feeling well enough to eat. As far as pain relief goes, it depends what he was given but an anti inflammatory like carprofen will last for 24 hours which is usually long enough once any painful teeth have been removed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
23-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

yes, it is convenia Elaine.
We always blood test our older animals before op, it can show up kidney, liver problems, parasite infections which can affect the recovery post op and during the op. If kidney problems show up the vet may drip the animal before during and shortly after the op, for example. They cannot really guarantee how many teeth will come out at the time of an exam, it is hard to see in a conscious cat's mouth but it is better to get dental issues seen to sooner rather than later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Glad everything went ok for Oli and hope he's feeling better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #8

Glad all went well.

Almost a Veteran Member

23-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Did they give you a detailed list of everything he had???

NO! Do you think I should ask for one? The vet came out to talk to me and do the hand over when I collected him.

Almost a Veteran Member

23-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
yes, it is convenia Elaine.
We always blood test our older animals before op, it can show up kidney, liver problems, parasite infections which can affect the recovery post op and during the op. If kidney problems show up the vet may drip the animal before during and shortly after the op, for example. They cannot really guarantee how many teeth will come out at the time of an exam, it is hard to see in a conscious cat's mouth but it is better to get dental issues seen to sooner rather than later.
Oli is only 4.