Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
16-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Just rushed Jimmy into the vet.

Just got back from the vet, leaving Jimmy behind on a drip and feeling like a crap owner. He didn't eat his tea last night and I could feel he was constipated again. I started him on lactulose, he didn't eat his breakfast but often doesn't when bunged up. I got an enema in the afternoon, as it usually solves the problem and sure enough after 2 we had movement. However by evening he was getting flatter and flatter, so we call the vet and took him in. He has a temp and is dehydrated, so has been given antibiotics, metacam and is on a drip for the night. The vet said it could be life threatening because of his age. I should have just taken him in this morning, but I was sure he would perk up after a clear out.
I feel so guilty.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
16-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #2

Re: Just rushed Jimmy into the vet.

Oh poor Jimmy. I really hope that he has a good night at the vets and that he is much better in the morning.

I can imagine you are feeling guilty, but bear in mind that you did what you thought was best for Jimmy. You are not a crap owner.

Sending you and Jimmy positive vibes from me and my fluffies.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
16-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

oh no! i hope jimmy is back to himself in the morning. please dont feel guilty, i think that with mondo, but you just do what you think is best, how were you to know that would happen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
16-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

you did what you thought was best for him, please don't beat yourself up. it could have happened to any of us.
i will say a little prayer for him to be strong and get through this ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #5

You ate NOT a crap cat owner!!! You did what you thought was medically best for him and probably would normally have been. Please don't blame yourself, few people I know are as dedicated and caring a person as you are. Sending healing vibes for Jimmy, (((hugs))) for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #6

So sorry to hear about Jimmy, hope all goes well for him xxx

We all feel the guilt when our pets are ill or sicker than we thought, dont beat yourself up Louise, you are a very vigilant owner/carer for your animals.

Fingers crossed he comes through this. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #7

Sorry for Jimmy farthing but DON'T beat upon yourself!! Cats have ways of hiding their symptoms until very late. Posh did the same to me with her dental problems and I felt like a bad mum but the vet was good and reassured me.
Sending healing vibes for Jimmy xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

Jimmy is still with us although still very weak. The only thing to show on his bloods are that he is aneamic and he isn't producing red blood cells to replace them.

The vet says kidney failure can cause this problem, but although Jimmy has slightly raised urea, its not bad enough to do this; ongoing chronic illness linked to his bowel problems, but his blood were fine last year; the vet's main concwern is that the vidalta can cause this problem in some cats, he is waiting for a call from the company vet to discuss it. I'm off to see Jimmy now and give him a cuddle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
17-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #9

Aww, sorry to hear this. You are definitely NOT a crap owner, you dd what most of us would have done - what you thought was best. (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
17-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #10

Can only echo what everyone else has said. You always do the absolute best for your animals.

Hope the vet manages to put a finger on the problem.

(((hugs)))