Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: crossbreed moggies x 2
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Cancer and scared....

Hi All
I took my cat to the vet last night as he had been walking with a limp and his leg seemed swollen. The vet has found a significant lump which almost feels like its part of the bone (ie. not squishy or anyting). I'd not noticed the lump until he asked me to feel it as my cat is quite furry but now I know it's there it's very significant (I did think that he'd dislocated his leg as his leg seemed very swollen but that is the lump).

The lump is on the joint at the top of his leg and he is walking with a limp (the vet said that this is because the lump is affecting a nerve). Two years ago he had a cancerous lump removed from his paw (on the same leg) and the vet said cancer cannot be ruled out this time.

The vet has prescribed some anti-inflamatory and antibiotic drugs for 1 week and I have to go back for them to do further tests if the lump hasn't subsided by then. My problem is that I really don't want to leave it for another week if this is going to make things worse for him. Should I be asking for something to be done sooner rather than later ? and if so, what ?

I would really appreciate your advice as, if the diagnosis is cancer, I would like him to get every possible treatment he could have to ensure that we have many more years with him !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Re: Cancer and scared....

Hi flowery! I am sorry to hear about your cat and obviously you are worried, given the history. Your vet is trying to rule out other causes by giving anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. I would try these things first and see if they help. Did you let the vet know how worried you were and your problems with leaving further investigations for a week? If not, I'd phone up and ask to have a chat - the vet may be able to give you better info about what he/she is trying to rule out first.

What is your cat's name btw?

12-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

He's called Reggie
He's got a brother called Ronnie... we like to call them the Kray cats x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #4

I agree with Angie, do call and discuss your fears with the vet. It will ease your mind. Do let us know what's happening to Reggie.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #5

Hi flowery, welcome to the forum.
I am sorry to hear about Reggie, it must be a terrible worry.
Great advice to phone the vet for a chat to discuss your fears. I personaly think it is right to wait a week and try the drugs for a week, it may be something totaly unconnected to his problem before, i don't think a week will make much difference.
I love your Cats names, our two were already named otherwise i might well have picked Reg and Ronnie. We have two cats down the road with the same names.
Do keep us posted on Reggie's progress, it does sometimes help to talk.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your cat. I too am loving your cats names. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

I can understand your fears and would be the same. I think I would call the vet and find out if an FNA ( fine needle aspirate) is possible ( obviously it depends on what the lump is). This is not invasive and may give an idea as to what it might be. When our Samson had lumps we did this and they came back advising a biopsy to check that it wasn't a lymphoma. It will cut out some waiting time while you wait to see if the meds work. I must say again this will only be possible for some lumps.
Best of luck.

13-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

Hi all. .thanks for all your kind words.
I rang the vet last night and he said he was happy for Reggie to go in today for a biopsy. I took him this morning and the vet who saw him this time seemed most certain about the tumour and said it was possibly the size of an orange at the top of his leg and under his armpit. He was concerned that this could have gone into the bone. He was admitted for tests/xrays and biopsy etc. I must say we were in tears when we came out but knew we were doing everything for him.

I have just received a call to say that the xrays have shown that it has not spread to lungs etc and that the blood results shown that his kidneys etc are good. It has also not gone into the lymph nodes and doesn't appear to have spread to the bone. The biopsy has gone in now for tests but the vet said that it is aggressive (what do they mean by that) and that he may have to have limb removed / chemo etc but she couldn't say what could really be done for him exactly until she knows exactly what it is but she is worried about what it could be. She said it was almost certain that it was cancer.

I feel slightly better knowing that it's not spread which was a real concern and we're going to be really positive about what can be done for him (we'll do absolutely anything ! )

Thanks to all of you who have sent good wishes - it is really appreciated x

xx (and one from reggie x)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #9

I am glad that you have acted on your feelings in Reggie's best interests. Whatever the outcome, you will know that what you did was right. I am sorry to hear that it is almost certainly cancer, although the news that it hasn't spread is excellent.

((((HUGS)))) for you and Reggie. Do let us know how things progress. There's nearly always someone here to offer support even though it may only be a few kindly words.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
13-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #10

Nice to 'meet' you flowery but wish it was under happier circumstances . I hope your Reggie is well managed and that the cancer can be contained. Above all I know that we on Catsey can be a support network for you whatever you have to go through.