Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #31

Re: AJ has blood in his urine :-(

How fortunate that you got both samples; hope the culture will give rise to a cause and treatment. Glad AJ seems to be otherwise healthy; fingers still crossed here.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
24-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #32

Thankyou all Just letting you know the vets still havent got any results back, need to ring again tomorrow afternoon so will update again then!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #33

AJ is still in our thoughts JB. Thanks for letting us know you're still waiting.

Catsey Veteran

24-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #34

Thanks for the update, was wondering.

Catsey Senior

25-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #35

Not very good news I rang at lunch time and was told the results were back but to ring back at 5pm to speak with my vet about it so i knew straight away that something was up.

Spoke with Steve and he said that there was alot of struvite crystals in AJ's sample and the lab described them as being "heavy". He said his urine was very alkaline We are bringing him in the morning for an ultra sound to make sure there arent any big stones etc in the bladder and then its onto the urinary diet for him.

I just cant believe that we are going through this again, and less then 6 months after losing our beloved Raven Im trying not to be too worried right now because AJ is still ok and hes having everything possible done and a very good vet dealing with him so i know he will be ok now. I just cant help thinking that Raven went through all of this 18 months before we lost him and at the time he was fine too, and for those 18 months afterwards. Then the worst happened

I know i shouldnt be thinking that way but i am still so down about losing Raven, i miss him every single day, and going through all this again so soon with his brother is bringing everything back up. I never wanted to go through anything like this again. I just need to keep myself positive. I guess i can feel better knowing that AJ has the very best Angel watching over him, his own brother.

I shall update you all again tomorrow once the scan has been done and we know more. please keep fingers crossed that he can just be sent home on a new diet tomorrow and wont need any further treatment.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #36

Sorry the news wasnt better for AJ, have everythi8ng crossed that the urinary diet helps a great deal xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
25-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #37

I'm sorry today's results weren't what you were hoping they'd be. Fingers crossed that the scan brings good news and the urinary diet works well for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #38

I'm very sorry about this news JB. My dear old Merlin had exactly the same thing. I remember well having to help the vet do the ultrasound because Merlin had bitten one of the nurses. He was good for me though and the scan was done. He had "gravelly" deposits in his bladder which caused his initial blockage. He ate the high pH died for many years - I'm sure I've said before and kept well on it. I hope AJ is good with it. It must be hard with other cats in the house though to make sure one cat has a special diet.

Good luck. You know we are here for you and AJ.

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #39

I wish the news was better, but you have a good vet you trust, so am praying all will go well with the diet. (((hugs)))

Catsey Senior

25-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #40

Thankyou all, its nice to have support from people who know how we are feeling. I wish so much that the results had been different but i just have to tell myself that it has been caught very early and that AJ doesnt even have any symptoms of having any problems-he is acting like a perfectly healthy cat and that is the main thing.

On a lighter note, im wondering how on earth i am going to convince our greedy boy to stick to his prescription diet and not have dry food down for nibbling on at his leisure! im predicting sleepless nights ahead for us!

Hernie and Rhino are very good boys and i think they will adapt quite well to just having 2 or 3 set meals a day again instead of the way things are now with having kibble down all the time and one wet meal a day. AJ is certainly going to be another story-our big boy sure does love his food When Raven was on his diet it got the point of us having to lock the kitties out the bedroom at night because AJ would spend all night crying for food-and even with the door shut he drove us barmy digging and crying outside the door oh, such fun times ahead luckily we love him tonnes so we will just have to put up with it