Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

AJ has blood in his urine :-(

Hello all,

As the title says, when AJ used the litter tray last night we were standing close by and when he hopped out noticed that his urine was very dark. i quickly got some tissue and dabbed it before the litter could soak it all up and the tissue came away red he urinated again after that last night and it was clear which was odd. however i wasnt taking any chances and rang to book him in for the vets this afternoon. we managed to get a very small urine sample from him this morning and it was completely blood red again so my OH brought it straight up and its with the vets now. AJ will be going up at 4.30pm.

AJ is otherwise acting completely normal, but im extremely worried because he is Raven's brother. Im hoping some of you will remember my gorgeous Raven who we very sadly lost in March (and who i am still completely heart broken over ) He had struvite crystals and had a few blockages that eventually led to his kidneys failing blood in the urine was never one of Raven's symptoms but with it being a problem in that area i cant help but be more worried then usual.

It will be my OH bringing him this afternoon so its going to be an agonising wait for me at home to find out what is going on. please all keep fingers crossed that it is something simple and that we have caught it early enough!

AJ seems to be trying to prove to me right now that he is ok by batting a grape around the floor I love my boys so much, dont know what id do without them!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #2

Re: AJ has blood in his urine :-(

Oh JB - I am very sorry to hear about AJ. Of course I remember Raven. I have my fingers and toes firmly crossed for him. Do let us know the outcome of his vet visit.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! I remember Raven too; fingers crossed here that AJ will be all right; do let us know.

Catsey Senior

12-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #4

Thankyou Angie, Im glad that you remember Raven too, not a day goes by without me missing him

My OH has left for the vets now with AJ crying is heart out in the carrier! It is far too quiet in the house now with just the two boys-I've actually never been in the house with just Rhino and Hernie before, its quite odd. Hernie is cuddled up next to me now, so it is a waiting game for us!

Shall update as soon as i know anything. trying not to be too worried

Catsey Senior

12-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! I remember Raven too; fingers crossed here that AJ will be all right; do let us know.
Sorry, i somehow missed your message when i was writing mine! Thankyou for that, good to know that Raven is still remembered here too. He was such a special boy-he and AJ were so alike and so different in so many ways, its no wonder they clashed so often! heres hoping this is one difference they have.

Catsey Senior

12-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

He's back! apparently his urine sample had alot of red and white blood cells in it and also a tiny amount of crystals the vet assured my OH that this doesnt necessarilly mean he has struvite crystals as apparently they are sometimes present when there is an infection. He had an antibiotic injection and we have been given a 7 day course of antibiotics for him(noroclav) and we are to get another urine sample once he is finished the course to check and see if the crystals are also gone.

So i guess it is still a waiting game to see if the antibiotics clear everything up.

Seems my OH had an eventful time at the vets with him because AJ refused to go back into the carrier after being examined-instead he wanted to nosey around the room! according to my OH he was crying his head off making a racket about being put back into the carrier and both he and the vet were struggling to get him back in and AJ managed to pull the stethoscope off the vet! sooo glad i wasnt there for that little embarressing moment but he was good during the examination and thats what counts

OH also found an injured bird at the train station on the way back so he had to steal the blanket that was in the carrier with AJ and then carry the bird back to the vets in one hand and all 8kgs of AJ in the other unfortunately the poor little thing had a little fit on the way and passed away minutes after he got him to the vets atleast he didnt pass away alone poor little guy.

Well i shall keep you all updated on how AJ gets on this next week now. Its actually his and Raven's birthday next thursday, he will be turning 4! It will be a very sad day for us for obvious reasons, but i ordered them yet some more toys last night so hopefully il get lots of smiles watching them play too. i shall have to get some birthday photos for you all!

Thanks again for the replies, keep fingers crossed that it is just a one off infection please!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #7

It could be cleared with the antibis JB, so I will keep my fingers crossed that AJ will be better very soon and be able to enjoy his birthday. I look forward to seeing photos of your handsome boy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #8

Fingers crossed for AJ that the antibiotics clear up the infection.
Look foward to seeing his birthday pics, hopefuly by then he will be feeling much better.
You o/h was very kind to try and help the little bird, as you say at least someone cared.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #9

I'm so relieved to hear the news! Hopefully the ABs will clear it up and he and you can enjoy his birthday. Please do post pics!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #10

Good luck for AJ. x