Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #31

Re: Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
Glad it's largely good news, brilliant about the FIV/Felv obviously and now you are aware of a potential problem, we all know you will do everything to reduce his chances of developing anything further.
Did your vet to a specific electrolytes for potassium levels or is it within their normal screen? Just being nosey really but may be worth doing a specific electrolytes if resampling.
Hope Bernie smells 'better' soon!
No he didnt as they were just within the normal screen at 3.2. The real concern would be if they fall to 3 and below but hopefully that wont happen. I wasnt aware that there was a specific electrolytes, so thankyou for saying that. If they should fall, then I know what he should be looking for.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I think we all know when our babies are not quite right

As for my vet, he knows I want him to be thorough and that I will question almost anything. Also think he's a little scared of me
A little scared............anyhow glad it's good news. And you can monitor him. Cleo hated Oz when he came back from any vets trips but he took no notice when she came back. I think he was a little scared of her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #33

Elaine, glad Bernie went on ok, it's great news about his teeth and FIV status.
Jerry once had a very low potassium level, we had no idea anything was wrong untill one morning he crashed and was lying in what is called a meatloaf position. He was unable to walk, as soon as he went on treatment he was right as rain.Interestingly the potassium tablets were for humans.

Catsey Veteran

06-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #34

I am familiar with the term meatloafing. A similar thing happened to my old fella, Winston, when he was diagnosed with CRF. I am sure Bernie wont get to that as I will be keeping a very close eye on him.

Have to tell you all, he is just full of beans today, havent seen him quite as playful for a while now. But then maybe I miss these things being away on house sits so often.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #35

I'm not familiar with that term: explanation? Glad to hear Bernie Boo is feeling better and playful.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #36

You knew something was wrong Lainey, thanks to your quick response, you ahve caughty it in the early stages....

Catsey Veteran

06-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'm not familiar with that term: explanation? Glad to hear Bernie Boo is feeling better and playful.
It's when the cat lies in a sphynx like position but with the head down, feet pulled in close to the body and the eyes are usually quite dull.

Catsey Veteran

06-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
You knew something was wrong Lainey, thanks to your quick response, you ahve caughty it in the early stages....

Yeah, I just got the wrong end , I was looking for something that was the cause of his gingivitis and instead we picked up on his urinary tract.
I'm sure he will be fine though.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I think it means that the cat lies with its front paws tucked in with it's forehead touching the ground. I think Jerry was short of potassium for a long while but we didn't pick up on any symptoms. He was on treatment for quite a few months but made a complete recovery.

Catsey Veteran

15-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #40

Check up for Mr Boo tomorrow, he is doing well but has lost a little weight. Currently trying to get a urine sample. I'm pretty sure he is fine and it's just routine.