Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
04-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

Re: Bernie

FIV??? Why do you suspect FIV? I sincerely hope it isn't . . .

Wishing Bernie's dental is all OK and that his bloodwork comes back clear.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #12

Severe gingivitis is generally considered to be linked to cats who are FIV+. We have always considered it to be because he was so poorly nourished at the time he was picked up by an independant rescue but I'd just like to know for sure.
I am not worried about his FIV status tbh as he is not a fighter or a biter and I think I am pretty clued up on FIV to be able to deal with it.
I am much more worried about his dental and the anesthetic tbh.

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

True, none of it is without risk. Best check for FIV first before surgery though because a compromised immune system can affect recovery - I know from personal experience of my Ferdy.

I hope that it's nothing to worry about, but you're right to go armed with all the facts to be able to make the best decision you can.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
04-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #14

Elaine we have all paws crossed here at the Clan for Bernie tomorrow and am just at the end of a phone should you need to chat any time tomorrow

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #15

Fingers crossed here that it is nothing as worrying. I will speak to The Great Cat tonight via Kizzy and we all wish Bernie the best. ((((HUGS))))

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #16

Thanks all, I'm sure he wil be fine. I just worry about putting them through anesthetics.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #17

Hope all goes well with Bernie tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

05-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #18

Bernie is home, a bit wobbly but in good spirits.
The good news is, the dental went very well, his gingivitis was not nearly as bad as it was when Andrew saw him a few weeks ago. No extractions, no enamel errosion and no dental decay. His teeth are perfect.
He is FIV and FeLV NEGATIVE.
BUT......
His bloods were interesting Andrew said....
He has high globulen and low potassium, not excessively high or low but these can suggest urinary tract disease.
Andrew then took a urine sample which showed slightly high protein, a little blood and high white blood cells.
We will be keeping a close eye on the potassium levels as if they fall further, this can lead to muscle wastage and we will have to start him on supplements.
For the time being he has only to have wet food, since Eva they dont get much dry but now they wont ever get any. Have to encourage him to drink more, I already put extra water in their wet food, so now will be making some tuna and chicken ice cubes. We also have a water fountain, have had for years.
Urine sample again in a few weeks and more bloods in a few months unless anything untoward happens.

So al in all, I am pleased that I asked for bloods to be done because maybe we have caught this early enough before he ends up with crystals and or blockages.

As Angie rightly reminded me, WE are our animals BEST advocates, so if in doubt get it checked out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #19

I am so glad that there is nothing to worry about with Bernie's teeth - that was great news; also negative FIV and FeLV.

Worrying about the "interesting" blood results, but as you say, you've probably caught whatever in very early stages. You were right to get those bloods done - you suspected something, perhaps not urinary problems exactly. Gentle cuddles for the recovering Bernie and ((((HUGS)))) for you Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

05-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #20

Good news all around! Hopefully also whatever is going on in terms of potential urinary problems has been spotted and will soon be identified and rectified.

Hope Bernie's wobbles subside soon and he's back to his usual self