Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
22-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #51

Re: Amputation of hind leg :(

Glad to hear he's come through the op well.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
23-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #52

Abby, Im so glad that George has come through his op.... they do adapt very well to being on three legs... I know that the morning after Tinky had his surgery he was making clumsy attempts to use his litter tray...
a couple of things that you should be aware of which will help you prepare for his arrival home...

he may not be able to use his normal litter tray at the beginning as he may have troubles getting into it... we remedied this by purchasing a cheap litter tray.. and cutting one end off it... it will be a little messy... but it will only be until he gets better balance..
you should also ask the vet about what food to feed him in recovery... cats that lose a limb can lose a lot of protein from their bodies... if he seems depressed or goes off his food.. you need to be aware of that and get him to the vet so they can check the protein levels in his blood... having him on a food with a reasonable amount of protein will go some way to stop this from happening...

depending on how they have done the amputation the wound may be under some pressure...so he will need to be kept reasonably quiet... walking is ok... and he may need some help initially but he should be discouraged from jumping up and down from furniture... because if the wound breaks down it causes all types of problems...keep an eye out for any discharge from the wound

In reply to your post... yes... haemangiosarcome is cancer of the blood vessels... tinky came through his amputation surgery.. but passed from a thrombus (blood clot) 6 days after his surgery... ironically on the day that he died we got the pathology back stating that the margins where clear...the surgery had been successful... sadly it was all in vain

If you want to PM me please feel free... due to the time difference im awake when you guys are asleep...
but im happy to help you if i can...
incidentally... my other cats name is George too!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: George - Black DSH w/ red & brown
23-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #53

Hiya Pookyandjo,

Ive just called the vets to see how he was through the night and the nurse said he seems very happy but hasnt eaten a lot but they expect that when they are kept in.
Ive got to call back at 10.30 to have a chat with the vet then pop over and pick him up.

We have George on the best food possible as he had a bit of a skin problem a while back so we have him on James WellBeloved (have you heard of it?) and the whiskers for wet. But Ill have a chat with the vet and see what she suggests

We've got a large dog cage for him which fits a nice big fluffy blanket, his litter tray and food in comfortably. The main reason we want him in the cage is because we dont want our dog bowling him over and he likes his comforts.

We've still got his litter tray from when he was a kitten and the sides are really low (but Ill keep an eye out), we had to buy a bigger one for when he got bigger cause he would flick everything everywhere lol!!

Im so sorry that Tinky passed away from a blood clot
Its such a shame!! Especially when you did the right thing for him. Im sure he would still be really greatful to you!! Oh and you can feel free to pm me too ...aww no way!! haha George was orignially called lucy (my mum chose lucy lol) and then when I took 'her' to the vets for 'her' first ever check-up the vet informed me 'lucy was infact a boy' so we had to change 'her' name to George lmao!!

Oh Dandysmom, it feels so empty without him!! I missed his cuddles in bed this morning! I think I might be sleeping in his cage with him tonight

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #54

Good luck today Abby. Lots of people here are thinking about you and George and wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Catsey Junior

23-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #55

Thank you!! Ive had a call back from the vets and they said hes ok...hes just pretty aggitated so they want to keep him today and I can pick him up tomorrow.
She said shes thinking about me and she doesnt want me to see him in pain and think Ive made the wrong decision...because I havent!!

I think Id prefer it like that too cause I know it would upset me seeing him in pain and I know I would punish myself.

So after surgeries today they are gonna get him out and give him some physio...cause I think he is being a bit stubborn hee hee

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #56

Sorry he can't come home today, but I feel the vet made the right call. Sounds as if you're well prepared for his convalescence at home; what valuable info from Jo! There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and willingness to reach out and share it. One more catless night and your boy will be home! (hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #57

I think you're vet has given you good advice there Abby, and it's best to see him when he is more comfortable

Catsey Junior

23-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #58

Madly enough my vet called at 3.15 this afternoon and said that they got George out of his cage and !!voila!! its like he's always had 3 legs!
She advised we picked him up! :O

So, Ive been home 10mins and George is well...amazing!! He has made me so proud! He is walking like he has always had 3 legs and he is purring soooo much makes me wanna cry with happiness
He's had a few wobbly moments but he's been ok
The vet even said he has amazed her!! He just had a bit of a tantrum last night hee hee!!

I know its not over yet cause we have to wait for the results back from his lymph node and toe but my boy has gotta be the stongest boy I know...he always comes back fighting.

Hes been to the litter tray!! and had a few biscuits & now he's having a chill out on his blanket in his cage!

Thank you all so much for your support and Im sure I will have more to update you all on...I just hope it continues to be good

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #59

oh that's great news I can imagine how happy you are to have him back. Any chance of a piccy or two of this brave boy?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #60

Oh wow. What a little trooper!! Well done George for being up and about already