Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
22-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #31

Re: Amputation of hind leg :(

everything crossed here that George is soon fighting fit once more RR is fab, Ihave used it on many occasions, for the animals and myself lol. Please update us when you can

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: George - Black DSH w/ red & brown
22-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #32

Just had a call from the vets and she wanted to let me know that his bloods arent brilliant...there is a sign that the cancer is spreading but she doesnt know if its spread any further than his leg.
Shes done x-rays and cant see anything.

There are signs of toxins & his red blood cells are low...does anyone know what this means?

She's still gonna take his leg and give him the best chance but it doesnt help when my dad is calling me cruel for putting him through all this.

I dont know whether to call my vet back and ask her to just put him at ease or get his leg off and get that horrible cancer away from him.

I feel like I am being selfish cause he means so much to me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
22-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #33

I'm very sorry to read this Abby. There is no right or wrong answer as far as these things are concerned. A low red blood cell count usually indicates anaemia, but this in itself can be symptomatic of other things - cancer among them.

If it were me in this situation, much as I wouldn't want to give up on my beloved pet, I would be seriously considering whether it was wise to be putting my cat through this only to potentially loose him shortly after.

But as I say, that's only my thinking . . .

Catsey Junior

22-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #34

Yola I completely know where you are coming from!!
Same things are running through my mind...my mum is like me and wants to give him the best go possible.

The vet said it can be a sign of cancer or not - shes not sure.

So when she gives me an answer like that I seem to cant make a straight decision myself lol.

She said he could either be completely fine after the op and live a happy healthy life or the cancer could come back in a couple of months or years and then thats when you would have to make the decision.

She said she would advise me to make the decision to have his leg off cause she doesnt want me to have him put to sleep and then me regret that I didnt give him a chance.

Its a hard one isnt it!!
Sorry Im bombarding you all with this

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #35

That's such a hard decision Abby. I was going to type "if it were me, I'd" but I can't.

I suppose you must factor in that you will be away and the hard decision MAY rest with your parents.

Do what your heart tells you ................. ((((HUGS))))

Catsey Junior

22-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #36

Well she rang me an hour ago so I would have thought she would have started the operation now.

All I can do now is be possitive. If I had him put to sleep I would beat myself up about it - I know I would. I would be thinking what if?
And the same thing with having his leg amputated, if the cancer does come back in a week or a year Im gonna be even more upset and Im gonna have to make that awful decision!!! And Im gonna be angry with myself for not putting him out of his misery sooner.

Either way to me, I cant make the 'right decision' there is no right decision.

He was running around like a loon last night playing with my shi-tzu so thats where I struggle - he seems fine to me apart from not eating but he did the same with his toe.

Ive got a large bond with George (one that Ive never had with a pet before) this is mainly because I spent a yr in hospital. I bought him when I was poorly & he was as a kitten - only 5 weeks!!!!! He slept with me when I was bed-ridden and the night I got him the only place he would sleep was on my chest on top of my heart - he stayed there for 8 whole hrs lol - I had neck ache in the morning I tell you!! hee hee.

I dont doubt that other people have this sort of bond with their pets but either way this goes now I want the best for George and thats trying to give him the best life I can.

Fingers crossed little man!!!

Catsey Junior

22-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #37

Oh, I also dont want people to think Im being selfish by keeping him alive cause I feel like we have a big bond...I just wanted to tell you just how much he means to me.
If the cancer does come back or has already spread and I get that awful phone call then there will be no doubt about it - George will be put at ease and I will see him when we meet again <3

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #38

You really don't have to beat yourself up Abby - I really hope that George pulls through and is himself again when he's recovered. He is obviously so very special to you and you have to give him the best chance possible. Everything crossed here for the best news.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
22-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #39

Abby I was in the EXACT same circumstances as you exactly 1 year ago... Do what YOU feel is best...don't have any regrets... I lost my soul cat TinkyWinky and I miss him so much it still hurts....BUT... I know I gave home the best chance to get well..Tinky had haemangiosarcoma and we amputated his right hind leg

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #40

I admire your strength at this difficult time, Abby. I can also understand why you feel you need to give George this chance, he has been a special boy to you through your bad times too.

I truly hope the op is successful and he quickly adjusts to running around and amazing you by what he can do on three legs.

Fingers crossed for your special boy ...