Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #11

Re: Amputation of hind leg :(

Hi Abby, I see you are in Shropshire, can I ask whereabouts, and I may be able to advise you to a good vets to contact, as I volunteer with CP and we use a lot ov vets all ovr the county

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #12

Offend her? No decent vet should be offended at a caring owner wanting more information before deciding on a major operation. I do understand your dilemma especially with your pending trip, but I do think you need to know more before making the decision to amputate. But if you do, cats adapt marvellously to it. Do let us know what's happening. Oh, and welcome to Catsey, even though it's under such sad circumstances,

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: George - Black DSH w/ red & brown
18-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #13

Hi alexgirl73, Im actually in Telford. I must admit my vets are brilliant, have been with George ever since I first took him there

Dandysmom thanks for your reply

I think you were all right about going and having a word with my vet, so I went to the practice earlier but she wasnt there so the receptionist left her a note to call me.

She called as soon as I got home and I asked her all my questions...is it the right thing to do? Is it cancer? I dont want him to suffer. Will it spread? etc etc. She was actually really happy I called and said that she's glad I did cause its obvious I want the best for George.
She said it is definately cancer as gout would have affected the whole of his foot & its not fungal because it wouldnt be as painful as it is for him at this moment in time & it would have responded to the treatment they have already given him.

She also said about him lymph node and that it is swollen due to the fact the infection (could) be spreading - and it obviously is due to his next toe now swollen. So she wants to take it off right up to his hip so she can 'get it all'.

She again said to me she wouldnt advise him having his leg removed if it wasnt the best thing and he is healthy everywhere else in his body & putting him to sleep wouldnt be a wise option.

Worse case scenerio is that when he has his leg removed - its then spread into his hip but as she is doing it mon and he doesnt seem to have any signs of this as of now, she doesnt see that as an option.

I feel so so much better for talking to you all and my vet
I just needed to put some questions in my mind to rest & Im glad you all told me to go and speak to her...thank you!!!
She said we will have another chat mon before he goes under just so I go in to it with a possitive outlook.

Abby x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
18-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #14

I'm glad you have spoken to your vet again, and you seem happier having spoken to her, so best of luck to George with his op

Catsey Junior

18-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #15

I am much happier, it has made a big difference - a 15 min phone call.
Ill make sure I let you all know how it goes

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #16

That's good news. I'm glad you've resolved the questions you had.

Now all that's needed is to with both you and George well for Monday!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #17

I'm really glad that you've answered the questions you had Abby. All best wishes for George for his operation on Monday. Please let us know how he gets on.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggie
18-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #18

Hi Abby, I have had 2 experiences with toe/foot tumors. One was in a very old cat whos foot had started to ulcerate and bleed and my vet said that it was a type that would return if it was cut out so advised putting it to sleep as it was in so much discomfort and it was too old to amputate, however the other cat had its cancerous toe removed and coped very well and it thankfuly never returned.
I have fosered an amputee after it had it leg off and It was amazing just how well it adapt. I think your doing the right thing. Good luck

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #19

Sorry your cat has to lose a leg, but they do adapt very well without one. Our cat, Triger, came to us as a rehome when he got his leg amputated. It was quite scary to see the size of the wound and the swelling, it must have been very scary for Triger, because he was also surrounded by new people in a new house. However, after he got a bit of strength back and started to get used to having 3 legs he was amazing. he could jump- we found him on the roof of the house the 2nd day he was let out, he could balance on fence posts, the only thing he couldn't do was sit up on his back leg. He looked a bit ungainly when ha walked but yu would never have guessed he was missing a leg when he ran, and he was as quick as the rest.
All in all you will soon not really notice he is missing a leg.

Catsey Junior

18-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #20

Thanks for your reply trick!
Thankfully its not all of Georges foot but I think the vet fears it will be as she removed the cancerous toe and now it has spread to the next one.

I think its lovely that you and farthing have rehomed amputees. I think maybe I will struggle with the shock more than George? I just also feared his personallity would change (hes such a loving and affectionate cat) but from what I have read they become even more loving or slowly become themselves again.

I will definately let everyone know how he gets on & any more info will be greatly appreciated