Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
24-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #51

Re: Vaccinations.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Hope I'm not setting myself up to be shot at but we've not had ours done for a few years now.

I'm an active Dogsey member and get them done because we need to kennel the dogs for holidays.

Our pal always looks after our cats when we're away so without the need to use a cattery we haven't bothered for a few years.

My gang are 14,14,13 & 12 but had all the vacs up to about 8 or 9

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
24-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Naughty Dawn lol...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
24-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #53

I have read some of the posts and dont know what to do about the kittens now. I know they are only a few days old but i am considering there future. None of my cats at the moment are vacinated at all. I did vacinate Kado and guinness the first year and give them there boosters but they became out door cats. We never go away only for a couple of days at the most but thats rare. If we do my son looks after them none have ever been in a cattery. I look after friends cats and they arnt either. I do agree in vacines because it would have prevented my dog years ago getting parvo he did survive it though. I also had a dog that got distemper (13 when he died) and too see them both go down so quick is horrible. On the other hand it wouldnt have protected simon at all. I will ask my vet when i take them for a check up.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
26-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #54

Shot by Borderdawn - hey ho.

It wouldn't be the first time LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
26-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Shot by Borderdawn - hey ho.

It wouldn't be the first time LOL
I only shoot gently and miss often, but when I miss, I miss LOW!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
29-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #56

Read all this through with some interest. The debate is something I have often thought about.

Where we are is pretty isolated and the farm dogs are rarely/never in contact with any other dogs. We vaccinate as pups and then in year 1, 2 and 5. The house dogs are out and about a bit more but never in kennels so we do years 1-4 and then every other year until 12 then no more.

The cats have always been done annually until a number of years ago whe I was found by the first feral I looked after. When I took him to my vet to be neutered we decided as he was around 8, had obviously been living out for quite some time that he would not be vaccinated. I was so pleased with the vet's advice.

Obviously I am fortunate inasmuch that I do not need to use boarding for any of the animals.

Thanks for the info BD - good reading and confirmed to me that I am not compromising my animals health with my current routine.

Cats owned: black longhair female kitten
calista24 is Male
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #57

Hi everyone,

we have had little Cali about 3 weeks now, and she has just had her 1st vaccinations this morning. (the type that covers main 3 problems).

She is 10wks old,normally v active (sometimes too!), but this has knocked her for six

She has just slept all day, been pretty warm,doesn't want to eat/drink and meows alot if picked up.
She can stand and manage stairs too - but has anybody else seen their little bundle of fluff turned into a quiet sleepy little thing after their first shots?

The booklet says it is quite normal, but it is such a contrast to the little racing tinker that we know

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by calista24
Hi everyone,

we have had little Cali about 3 weeks now, and she has just had her 1st vaccinations this morning. (the type that covers main 3 problems).

She is 10wks old,normally v active (sometimes too!), but this has knocked her for six

She has just slept all day, been pretty warm,doesn't want to eat/drink and meows alot if picked up.
She can stand and manage stairs too - but has anybody else seen their little bundle of fluff turned into a quiet sleepy little thing after their first shots?

The booklet says it is quite normal, but it is such a contrast to the little racing tinker that we know
Try not to worry too much Calista...
This can happen in the first 24 hours after vacs! It just makes them very sleepy. Though she should still be eating/ drinking... Maybe a bit later she will eat something!
Just keep an eye on her, and make sure she doesn't get any worse ie. vomit/ runs etc.
I am sure she will be fine
It can affect different kittens/cats in different ways!
My mums kitten had his vacs two weeks ago and he was neither up nor down after his. Though I would like to point out he only got the vacs for cat flu and enteritis= just the 2 in 1, cos he is an indoor kitten.
With the 3 vacs in 1, there is a higher risk of it making your kitten sleepy or having an adverse reaction. Was it leukaemia or chlamydia that was the 3rd vac? Do you know?

calista24 is Male
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #59

You are a star catwoman, thanks so much for your full and quick reply

I'm pretty sure the 3rd shot was leukemia from what i remember.
The vet said this could be likely but it is such a contrast, she normally runs around for a good hour at a time!

It's been about 11 hours now,she seems a bit more alert now,is very purr-y, but hasn't been interested in food/water since mid-day.
(She did feed well before the vet, and had a unusually huge tinkle an about an hour ago!), so hopefully it's going the right way.

She just looked so helpless earlier, with a (sounds silly!) sort of 'help me' look n her face

Hopefully she'll have a good night. Going to leave fresh food and water down tonight and hope she feels like it during the night.
Will check on up her too.

Thanks so much again, hope it's not as bad with the booster in 3 weeks

calista24 is Male
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #60

Well, another hour on, and she seems to have shaken off the worst of it - thank goodness

Thanks again catwoman,.. your thoughtfulness and reassurance are much appreciated

By the way, Calista is her full name ! (Cali), bit Ott we know, but just seems to suit her, though won't be shouting that out in the garden in time to come

Thankyou