Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #41

Re: Vaccinations.........

I know it's not the same but how I see it, humans are jabbed as babies, boostered once and then never again for those jabs (MMR) and tetanus every 10 years. We only get other jabs if we are going somewhere abroad (malaria, yellow fever e.t.c). Just something else to think about.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
22-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Thanks all for the info, you have helped me make up my mind...
Its a minefield Moli...
Can I ask what your decision is?

Banned

22-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I know it's not the same but how I see it, humans are jabbed as babies, boostered once and then never again for those jabs (MMR) and tetanus every 10 years. We only get other jabs if we are going somewhere abroad (malaria, yellow fever e.t.c). Just something else to think about.
My thoughts exactly Random!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Most vets in my area will spay/neuter without vacs... But I know some won't... You must be very unlucky in the area you live in...
Its so important to have cats neutered, and they are just putting more barriers up! Though, there is a SMALL risk that unvac'd cat could catch cat flu/enteritis when in vets getting spayed, thats the reasoning behind it. But care on the vets/nurses part can help minmise this!
Well I would hope my cat was kept in a clean and safe environment and treated with clean vets and kept away from and diseased animals throughout his brief stay at the vet (a matter hours usually), whether he was vacc'd or not, and if this was followed it would be highly unlikely that he'd catch anything, although I do understand it is always a risk as soon as you walk through the door with your pet. He did get done by another vet and was absolutely fine, as were the other 5.

Fondly Remembered

Cats owned: Black/Tortie/Tabby/B&W
Phil is Male
24-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #45

Hope I'm not setting myself up to be shot at but we've not had ours done for a few years now.

I'm an active Dogsey member and get them done because we need to kennel the dogs for holidays.

Our pal always looks after our cats when we're away so without the need to use a cattery we haven't bothered for a few years.

My gang are 14,14,13 & 12 but had all the vacs up to about 8 or 9

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #46

I am going to stop the yearly vaccinating....with the dogs....
But am a bit concerned about the cats....One of my boys is a virus carrier, and am a bit afraid not to keep the cats boosters going because of this.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #47

I have never done boosters. Dr. Michael Fox, a nationally known vet and a former neighbor of mine is strongly opposed to it as unnecessary in most cases and because of adverse reactions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #48

For some reason I can't get the link to Dr. Fox's page to work, so have just copied what I think is relevant to this discussion,

“Anytime you inject anything into a patient you have the potential of killing them”.—Prof. Ron Schultz, DVM.
The practice of giving cats several different vaccinations against various diseases all at the same time early in life and then again every year as "boosters" for the rest of their lives is coming to a close. This is for two primary reasons: animals can have adverse reactions to vaccinations that can impair their health for the rest of their lives; routine "booster" shots are not needed since earlier vaccinations have given animals sufficient immunity to the diseases in question.
First, kittens should not be given vaccinations before 8-10 weeks of age since this can interfere with the natural immunity in their systems conferred by the colostrum or first milk of their mothers. But if the immune status of the mother is unknown, as is the situation for many to-be-adopted pups and kittens in animal shelters, vaccinations at an earlier age between 5-6 weeks is the usual protocol. Adult animals in a compromised immune state, as for example those who are ill, injured, or being given an anesthetic and operated on, such as being spayed or castrated, or for any other surgical procedure, are pregnant or nursing, or are old and infirm, should not be vaccinated.
Rabies vaccinations, unless in-field conditions make this logistically difficult, should never be given at the same time other combined vaccinations are given. Separate by at least 3 weeks.

Banned

24-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
For some reason I can't get the link to Dr. Fox's page to work, so have just copied what I think is relevant to this discussion,

“Anytime you inject anything into a patient you have the potential of killing them”.—Prof. Ron Schultz, DVM.
The practice of giving cats several different vaccinations against various diseases all at the same time early in life and then again every year as "boosters" for the rest of their lives is coming to a close. This is for two primary reasons: animals can have adverse reactions to vaccinations that can impair their health for the rest of their lives; routine "booster" shots are not needed since earlier vaccinations have given animals sufficient immunity to the diseases in question.
First, kittens should not be given vaccinations before 8-10 weeks of age since this can interfere with the natural immunity in their systems conferred by the colostrum or first milk of their mothers. But if the immune status of the mother is unknown, as is the situation for many to-be-adopted pups and kittens in animal shelters, vaccinations at an earlier age between 5-6 weeks is the usual protocol. Adult animals in a compromised immune state, as for example those who are ill, injured, or being given an anesthetic and operated on, such as being spayed or castrated, or for any other surgical procedure, are pregnant or nursing, or are old and infirm, should not be vaccinated.
Rabies vaccinations, unless in-field conditions make this logistically difficult, should never be given at the same time other combined vaccinations are given. Separate by at least 3 weeks.

Thank you for that post! Hope it helps others to make up their minds...

Banned

24-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
Hope I'm not setting myself up to be shot at but we've not had ours done for a few years now.

I'm an active Dogsey member and get them done because we need to kennel the dogs for holidays.

Our pal always looks after our cats when we're away so without the need to use a cattery we haven't bothered for a few years.

My gang are 14,14,13 & 12 but had all the vacs up to about 8 or 9
Your deffo not gonna get shot on here for that lol...
Alot of people on here agree with you on that one...
Maybe on another horrible forum, you would have been shot down. But not on Catsey...