Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #31

Re: Vaccinations.........

From fabcats. (SAR means suspected adverse reaction)

Quote:
During the period from 1995-1999, there were 2158 SARs reported to the VMD in cats, and of these 835 (39 per cent) were associated with the use of vaccines. Not all SARs are genuinely adverse reactions to the product being used, and causality can be difficult to establish. Nevertheless, even if all the SARs associated with feline vaccines were genuinely as a
result of vaccination, this still represents a very low rate of SARs of about 0.61 per 10,000 doses of vaccine sold. Nearly 50 per cent of SARs to vaccination occur in cats less than 6 months of age (ie, in relation to their primary vaccination course).
Some of the SARs reported following vaccinations in cats (along with their approximate frequency during the period 1995-1999) are:
Lameness/polyarthritis – 18%
Local injection site reactions – 16%
Allergic reactions (anaphylaxis and hypersensitivity) – 9 %
Lack of efficacy – 6%
Upper respiratory tract disease – 6%
Sarcomas – 3%

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #32

Thanks Dawn, its the info I needed....

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
22-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #33

Backing Borderdawn all the way on this one!
Vets have had the results of this study for YEARS, but continue to ignore it... Also pet insurance/ kennels should also change policy on vacs. Every three years is more than enough...
I have witnessed LOTS of cats/dogs dying within 24 hours of having their first booster a year after initial vacs...
Its really damned if you do vac and damned if you don't...
Unfortunately it a gamble

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Backing Borderdawn all the way on this one!
Vets have had the results of this study for YEARS, but continue to ignore it... Also pet insurance/ kennels should also change policy on vacs. Every three years is more than enough...
I have witnessed LOTS of cats/dogs dying within 24 hours of having their first booster a year after initial vacs...
Its really damned if you do vac and damned if you don't...
Unfortunately it a gamble
Hi.
Boarding kennels abide by manufacturers guidelines, so if they say every third year then thats perfectly acceptable by us. Yearly boosters are still done but not for everything.

Banned

22-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Hi.
Boarding kennels abide by manufacturers guidelines, so if they say every third year then thats perfectly acceptable by us. Yearly boosters are still done but not for everything.
Thats what I meant Dawn, maybe I didn't word that well there! They change the guidelines, so that you/kennels can then follow the new rules

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #36

No, I do the puppy/kitten jabs and I did do a booster after that then draw the line but with Star I'm not going to and Anakin i'm not going to booster him. I got the letter through a few weeks ago saying Anakin needed his booster so that vet is still doing them yearly too.

Another thing that does my nut in, vets trying to get an adult dog who hasn't been vacc'd or has no proof of it, given a double set of puppy jabs! The double set for babies I believe is to overpower the natural immunity they already had from their mother which lasts up to 12 weeks anyway, that's why they are given 2 sets, an adult doesn't need that whether it's been jabbed before or not, an adult should never be given a double dose. Scam scam scam. Our original vet also said they wouldn't spay/neuter an animal that hadn't been jabbed and wasn't up to date on jabs as apparently it was too dangerous for the animal! So who is that helping then?

I had a pal who's weim suffered auto immune disease from over vaccination and she eventually died after much suffering, painful blisters all over her skin, basically bit by bit her body started attacking itself and throughout it all the vet STILL advised she was boostered yearly. Luckily she was better advised elsewhere and the dog did feel better after a couple of booster free years although unfortunately it was too late and too much damage had been done.

Banned

22-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
No, I do the puppy/kitten jabs and I did do a booster after that then draw the line but with Star I'm not going to and Anakin i'm not going to booster him. I got the letter through a few weeks ago saying Anakin needed his booster so that vet is still doing them yearly too.

Another thing that does my nut in, vets trying to get an adult dog who hasn't been vacc'd or has no proof of it, given a double set of puppy jabs! The double set for babies I believe is to overpower the natural immunity they already had from their mother which lasts up to 12 weeks anyway, that's why they are given 2 sets, an adult doesn't need that whether it's been jabbed before or not, an adult should never be given a double dose. Scam scam scam. Our original vet also said they wouldn't spay/neuter an animal that hadn't been jabbed and wasn't up to date on jabs as apparently it was too dangerous for the animal! So who is that helping then?

I had a pal who's weim suffered auto immune disease from over vaccination and she eventually died after much suffering, painful blisters all over her skin, basically bit by bit her body started attacking itself and throughout it all the vet STILL advised she was boostered yearly. Luckily she was better advised elsewhere and the dog did feel better after a couple of booster free years although unfortunately it was too late and too much damage had been done.
One of many reasons I am no longer a vet nurse! Its all backwards and money making... Not all vets are like this I may add. BUT MOST ARE UNFORTUNATELY!!!!
Very hard to watch on a daily basis...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
One of many reasons I am no longer a vet nurse! Its all backwards and money making... Not all vets are like this I may add. BUT MOST ARE UNFORTUNATELY!!!!
Very hard to watch on a daily basis...
I am currently registered with 3 different vets, naughty I know but i'm yet to find one who agrees with me on jabs and I find they have different areas of money making expertise, like the first one is jabs, so I can't get my animals spayed/neutered there as they are not up to date on boosters. Another vet charges £9.50 for a pee test, where the others do not but I use them for the spay/neuter plus they are just down the road so it's easy to pop in for something. The last vet I don't use anymore as I had a bad experience with them when they boostered one of my pups 4 years ago (long story!) but am still registered with them as far as I know. But I don't agree with any of them 100% and any others I have looked into in the area are all sticklers on jabs (as that is the first thing I ask!).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #39

Thanks all for the info, you have helped me make up my mind...

Banned

22-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
I am currently registered with 3 different vets, naughty I know but i'm yet to find one who agrees with me on jabs and I find they have different areas of money making expertise, like the first one is jabs, so I can't get my animals spayed/neutered there as they are not up to date on boosters. Another vet charges £9.50 for a pee test, where the others do not but I use them for the spay/neuter plus they are just down the road so it's easy to pop in for something. The last vet I don't use anymore as I had a bad experience with them when they boostered one of my pups 4 years ago (long story!) but am still registered with them as far as I know. But I don't agree with any of them 100% and any others I have looked into in the area are all sticklers on jabs (as that is the first thing I ask!).
Most vets in my area will spay/neuter without vacs... But I know some won't... You must be very unlucky in the area you live in...
Its so important to have cats neutered, and they are just putting more barriers up! Though, there is a SMALL risk that unvac'd cat could catch cat flu/enteritis when in vets getting spayed, thats the reasoning behind it. But care on the vets/nurses part can help minimise this!