Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
21-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #11

Re: Vaccinations.........

Scientific studies HAVE been done, read the links I posted in the other thread, search for more yourself.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #12

Re read, you obviously cannot be bothered to READ the PROOF you say isnt there, no point really is there, continuing I mean.....!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
21-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
The vaccine debate is a long running one and has certainly changed in recent years. There is absolutely no way at all I would "routinely" vaccine my pets anymore.

Let me explain. We were always told every year, yes? Whats changed? Its now every third year for Parvo, Distemper, Hardpad etc.. and only lepto and PPi (kennel cough) every year. The only reasaon lepto is yearly is because they cannot measure its length of immunity in a dog.

I have a Border that was vacced as a pup, then at 15mths should of had a booster, I asked for a "titre test" which measured the dogs immunity and would tell me if the dog needed a booster. She came back as low Parvo and borderline Distemper, they cannot test for Lepto as the disease does not illicit titres. OK she needed a booster, which the Vet was ready to give. I rang the Uni that did the tests (Glasgow I think from memory) they said that a low titre count does NOT mean the dog has low immunity and does NOT mean it needs a booster. It means only that the circulating antibodies had not been triggered by memory cells (the things that mount an immune response) to increase in the body, as the dog had had no contact with the diseases it was vaccinated against. They told me and it is still the case, memory cells cannot be measured. So, I would probably of over vaccinated my dog on the basis of a test that wasnt conclusive, yet the Vet was happy to do it and was happy to re vaccinate on its results. Over vaccination?

In recent years, pets have been massively over vaccinated, immune meditated diseases in dogs and cats are at an all time high, of course your vet would never ever say a vaccination was to blame, but as I said, question your vet when your pet is on meds and they are "happy" to vaccinate, they shouldnt, ALL vaccination protocol guidelines state that ONLY healthy animals should be vaccinated, who is right?

Vaccination and neutering is a Vets life, is it any wonder they drum it into pet owners?

When the vaccination length was changed, most vets were unwilling to say the least, however, most do it now but many do not, vaccinating against all diseases each year, ignoring guidelines, not all of course but we have checked with animals coming in and the relevant manufacturers guidlines, we KNOW many Vets still over vaccinate. Like I said, how many Vets charge for 2 vaccines two years running, then all of them for the third? I think you will find most charge the same price for 2 as they do the lot!! See pet owners wouldnt realise that!

I personally know many dogs and cats with immune meditated diseases that are still vaccinated just so an owner can go on holiday and they can board it, thats just selfish and wrong, but hey some folk HAVE to have a holiday, at any cost! There is masses of evidence to support and unrefuted proof that pets are over vaccinated and that this does in fact cause diseases in them.

I do not vaccinate any of my pets after puppy/kitten vaccs any more.
Thanks Dawn...very informative..........

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #14

Dawn, may I ask if you accept pets into your Kennels/Cattery who do not have their boosters every year?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #15

Thanks for that Dawn - there is much in your post that I didn't know.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Dawn, may I ask if you accept pets into your Kennels/Cattery who do not have their boosters every year?
No Mags, we have to abide by the boarding establishment act and the council. We have no option.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
No Mags, we have to abide by the boarding establishment act and the council. We have no option.
Thanks Dawn, I was beginning to wonder if I was getting Cassie vaccinated unecessarily as she goes into a Cattery every year....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Re read, you obviously cannot be bothered to READ the PROOF you say isnt there, no point really is there, continuing I mean.....!
What's that for, that's just being nasty, is it because i disagree with you.
I WILL read it and have in fact flicked through it already. But you are right what is the point!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
21-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #19

Quote:
I personally know many dogs and cats with immune meditated diseases that are still vaccinated just so an owner can go on holiday and they can board it, thats just selfish and wring, but hey some folk HAVE to have a holiday, at any cost!
Just to put my side across: I very rarely take holidays. Mainly due to my fear of flying. If I do, then it is usually 4 days at the most in the UK. Also due to the cost (especially this year!) as I think that caring for my cats properly is more important than any holiday.

Although my cats live pretty much indoors 24/7, like I said, I cannot take them to my parent's house where I spend most of Christmas due to a non FIV cat living there. Personally for me, I think it is irresponsible for them to be left alone for 10 days without supervision. I have left them alone for 24 hours with more than enough food and water, but any longer, I think it is unfair. At least in the cattery, they get fresh food, water and their trays cleaned at least once a day, which if they were left alone in my flat they would not. Also they are more reliant on me for attention then if they went outside, at least in a cattery they get to see humans and have fuss, which left alone they would not get. Plus if they were unwell, at least the cattery could take them to the vet, but if they were left alone for 10 days I would not notice, of which the consequences could be potentially fatal.

It is not practical always to go back and to every single day (not to mention the cost!) to my flat and my parent's house every single day over Christmas. Plus I cant drive, so I am relying on someone else, who may be very well over the limit. That is without being ill, last Christmas I was so ill I could barely stand up (I could only just make to the toilet) let alone take care of a cat. It's not the first Christmas I have been extremely unwell.

When the cat dies and they (my parents) do not replace it then yes I could in theory take my cats over Christmas and save boarding fess. Sometimes it is not about being selfish, sometimes being in a cattery is better all round for them. Plus if I left the cats alone for 10 days I am sure that the RSPCA would come knocking on my door.

So really me putting my cats in a cattery is not selfish, it's so that they can get a decent standard of care over Christmas which they deserve. I personally doubt that very few people putting their cats in a cattery are, which I do not like about your post.

Catsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Thanks Dawn, I was beginning to wonder if I was getting Cassie vaccinated unecessarily as she goes into a Cattery every year....
Its a real thorn to us Mags, I will quote on dog I board, a Greyhound, she has an immune meditated disease which IS caused and triggered by over vaccination, yet their holiday means more, but I blame the Vet that continues to vaccinate her, why? It totally contrdicts ALL guidelines anyway, she is not healthy, yet still vaccinated! Thyroid problems have been linked with over vaccination in dogs and cats, I cant find the article Id like to share, but if I do Ill post it, will make interesting reading for those that are interested.