Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

26-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #1

Saving cat victims

I just wondered if anyone else who's cats get out try to save their victims
I dont let mine out in the day to help protect the birds in the garden ,but with spring coming up Bo catches baby rabbits and of course the mice and shrews and voles all get caught ,If I see any of our cats with somthing I always chase them and try to save whatever they have ,the cats are used to me taking their victims so they run
Alot of the time the poor creature is already mortaly injured ,but quite a lot are able to be saved ,I must look like a loony running about all round the garden in the night trying to catch the cats and save their victims and I'm usually worn out with all the running and climbing over fences ,but its worth it somtimes
Does anyone else do this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #2

Re: Saving cat victims

Our pets really show their wild side when they go hunting don't they?

I'm so glad my two have decided they are wayyyy too old to do that now. I can now look after the birds and encourage them to the garden with food and vaccuum fluff and suchlike. I haven't done that for years.

When they used to catch things I'd try to rescue if it looked lively but (as I wouldn't have had the spine to actually administer the 'coup de grace') I 'm afraid I let them get on with it with poor nearly dead victims.

It's only nature - it's us who have the problem in not acknowledging it.

By the way, have you ever thought of the problems we'd have with our cats if they were as big as, say, boxers or labs? They would be impossible. Lethal hunting machines and, I dare say, they'd seriously injure us if we didn't do what they wanted

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #3

During the summertime Cassie occasionally brings field mice into the garden and I think how cruel it is to see her tossing them into the air and playing with them. I have been out to try to rescue them from her but her reaction has stopped me from doing that now - she will promptly eat them if you go near her I think the poor mouse has more chance of escape if I leave her alone. Saying that I DO know it's cruel to see a cat playing with a mouse.

The only other thing she brings 'home' is goldfish from a neighbours pond The fish is already dead then so there is not a lot I can do. Funnily, she never eats the fish

Catsey Junior

27-02-2005, 03:08 AM   #4

about 40 percent of the time you can save the victim
try getting 4 cats into the house when there is a caught vole ,but I have done it and the vole has lived to another day

Catsey Junior

27-02-2005, 03:22 AM   #5

the cat that adopted me who was half wildcat ,she delighted in torturing her victims in our neightbours gardens knowing I couldent get there in time to save them
Thats how she adopted me she killed Keya my Crow
at first I was so angry ,but I knew it was only instinct ,then she adopted me as I kept feeding her and looked after her
she moved into my house and trusted me
she was half wildcat ,I know the woman who stole the kittens from the nest in the highlands of Scotland,she is the same woman who nearly killed my stripy and he is part wildcat too as the gamekeepers kill all the feral cats in that area and alot of wildcats even though its against the law

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #6

It's surprising how you can gain the trust of the feral cats - it just takes food and a lot of patience. It's nice to know that you've managed to give a better life to a couple of them. I'll bet there are quite a few in the highlands which makes it difficult to control.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
03-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #7

Cheetah has never caught anything apart from a few flies! bless her