Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

Worried about Harvey

You may remember that 7 weeks ago we adopted the beautiful Harvey from our local Animal Sanctuary. I used to volunteer at this place and it is definitely not the best for animal welfare. Within a couple of days we took Harvey to the vets for a check up and his course of vaccinations. He had bad ear mites which were treated. We noticed Harvey usually had diarrhoea, so we mentioned this to the vet and he was put on Royal Canin Gastro intestinal diet. This seemed to help and clever harvey seems to know this is his food. However, for the past few days he has been sick at least once a day, bringing up food or bile as he isn't eating much at all, so his tummy is probably empty. My daughter took him back to vets today and asked for bloods to be taken; we got the results later and liver, kidney etc, all okay. The vet have him an injection and prescriped some antsepsin, and asked for him to go back on Monday if no better. We do think he has lost some weight.

Harvey is the most amazing, loving cat, he will sit on our lap for hours. We all love him so much and couldn't bear for anything serious to be wrong. Not been a good year, and there is only so much anyone can take.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #2

Re: Worried about Harvey

It's good news that his organ function is ok Kim.
It could well be something simple that will be sorted with the tablets.
I know Harvey is a very special boy and hope that he will be feeling much better soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
12-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Sorry to hear this, we are having similar worries with Candy, and believe it is a flare up of her IBD. Has the vet metioned whether this could be a possibility, it usually occurs in middle to older aged cats.

http://www.moggies.co.uk/html/ibd.html

Were all his bloods OK, Candy always has normal bloods except for the eosinophils. Initially the vets always insisted that she needed to be wormed, but are now saying it is allergy related and linked to her IBD.
Hope you find out what is wrong, but at least his bloods are OK. We finally got Candy x-rayed and they showed she had very thickened guts- the bloods, the thickened guts and the blood results made my vet conclude she had IBD- I think the flare up she is having now is due to stress with the recent losses and additions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Sorry to hear this Kim, maybe a feacal sample would hep rule out things like salmonella, camphylobactor and giardia?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
13-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

So sorry to hear Harvey is unwell. I too think maybe a stool sample is in order. He could easily have picked up something like giardia at a shelter. Hugs to the lad.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
13-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

Agree with the above to have a fecal float done. I hope he feels better very soon and it's something simple to fix.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
13-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Thanks all. A faecal sample was suggested if the special diet didn't work, but he seemed better, but yes I agree that this is the next course of action. He actually seems a bit better today, not been sick - yet - and eating slightly better. I didn't think it was possible to love a cat so quickly, but he is very, very special, so we would do anything to help him. He doesn't look like an ill cat, bright eyes, great coat, purrs for England!! Will keep you upadated.

Thanks for that info Farthing, Harvey certainly has several of those symptoms.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #8

Very sorry to hear about Harvey's problems Kim. That's good advice above so I hope that you and your vet can find out what's ailing him. I understand how very special he is to you and your family. ((((HUGS)))) to you all, especially to Harvey. Get better soon young man!

Catsey Veteran

13-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #9

Glad to hear Harvey is a little better this morning, hope he's still ok and not been sick.

Global Moderator

13-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

I hope Harvey will feel better soon, Kim...