Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #21

Re: Fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyabrew
we've given up with frontline, got advocate from the vet. If you can't get capstar then Johnsons for fleas is the same stuff, it works in a differant way than frontline so you can use them together
Thanks fancyabrew (haha, I'm cradling a cuppa as I notice your nickname!).

The Advantage has worked beautifully and we've got light traps to catch any of the little stinkers still hiding in the house!

<<He is a gorgeous boy and that little bare bit needs a kiss!>>

angieh, you read my mind!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #22

Hi, Gaina! I think the light traps are a great idea, they really work! Mine also caught a cricket that had gotten in the house and some assorted flies!

Catsey Junior

03-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Hi, Gaina! I think the light traps are a great idea, they really work! Mine also caught a cricket that had gotten in the house and some assorted flies!
Ah, poor Mr Cricket!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
04-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #24

Lol, Missy has just seen me walking towards her with a pipette of Frontline (hidden) in my hand & she's off out of the open window!!

What I wanted to say was - so far, Frontline is all that Missy has needed but rather than her have fleas I'd change but I see Advantage does not effect ticks. I know little about this. Can anyone advise please?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #25

Hi Nuttygran! I am having the same problem with my dog, but while there does seem to be a different treatment that may be suitable for my dog to treat fleas and ticks and then a separate treatment for worms, the options for cats seem to be very limited especially for the treatment of ticks.

If you are interested, this is a good website for information http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Comp...ew/-21789.html

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #26

Thank you Angieh, Missy has never had ticks but I have seen other cats with them. They were farm cats & I expect ferral, I can only think they hadn't been treated with anything.

Catsey Junior

04-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #27

I've just been on the Bayer website (who make Advantage) and there's a tick section for dogs, but just fleas for cats (?)

I got a handy tip from a vet nurse on how to deal with ticks at home. Soak a q-tip in surgical spirit and paint it on the tick. You might need to do it twice a day but it should shrivel up and die within 48 hours.