Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
15-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #11

Re: Assisted televised suicides

The fine line is when can you be completely certain someone is of sound mind to make that decision? I don't think doctors would be willing to make that decision as there are so many variables that would contribute. I wouldn't blame them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
15-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #12

I wouldn't have a problem with people who are in so much pain they want to die (if they are suffering and there's no way they will get better) or if they lose the will to live, but my main concern is people playing god.

True story: a relative of mine (when I was a child and we moved away) had a stroke, we went to live with him and another relative, but mum decided we were going to move away and after we moved my grandad (the relative who had the stroke) lost the will to live. He had another stroke and didn't survive it - he didn't want to!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #13

Yes I agree but where would you draw the line? How would you say yes to one person and no to another? What about manic depression? Or the mentally unstable? And if you say no to the mentally unstable what about those who have became mentally unstable due to an illness such as cancer and as well as being mentally unstable are also clearly in unimaginable pain (like my granddad was when he asked my uncle to get a gun and shoot him as he couldn't take any more and the nurse tried to comfort my uncle by saying not to worry as my granddad was so ill he didn't even know what he was saying any more...???)

But showing it, why? Why would anyone want to watch that? And WHO would be watching it? And what would it do to the public aside from desensitise them to watching death?????? Why would that even be considered? I don't quite understand this side, that all seems a bit sick or is it just me?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
20-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #14

My turn.... I was going to post a new thread about this sort of thing but then found this.... I recently watched 'A short stay in Switzerland' with Julie Walters.... anyone see that last Chrimble? (Mags do a google!?)

I heard on the news about the mother who has o/d her 22yr old son in a coma and has been imprisoned for it.... I don't think I agree with her being jailed for it tho....

Anyone....?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCatLady
My turn.... I was going to post a new thread about this sort of thing but then found this.... I recently watched 'A short stay in Switzerland' with Julie Walters.... anyone see that last Chrimble? (Mags do a google!?)

I heard on the news about the mother who has o/d her 22yr old son in a coma and has been imprisoned for it.... I don't think I agree with her being jailed for it tho....

Anyone....?
Very sad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7844031.stm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
20-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #16

Yes madcatlady i heard this to and was very surprised she got life. I remember a case of a young man who became paralysed and wanted to die. To be honest i'm not sure what happened in that case, but what worries me is he may have made the decision to die because he had no quality of life but sometimes miracles do happen and sometimes doctors get it wrong.
I disagree with assisted suicides being televised and couldn't bear to watch the julie walters film even though it was fiction.
I suppose people should have a right to choose to die but i find the subject frightening

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
21-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #17

It is a very sad and emotional topic for everybody involved,but I certainly agree that someone who is terminaly ill or is dying with no chance of recovering should beable to make that choice.
I do not agree with it being televised though and I certainly would not want to watch it happening.