Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #1

The Wasp!!!

Discovered this morning a wasp making a nest in my shed, it was still quite a small nest, so got my son to catch the wasp and the nest in a glass and take it to the woods to dispose of....Do not mind wasps, but not in my shed...
Went back round to the shed, and blow me!! it was back!!! It has since flown away, but quite expect to go in there tomorrow and it will be making another nest, trouble is, its getting in with the door shut, and I do not where!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

Re: The Wasp!!!

I hate wasps! We have had a couple of quite big nests in out loft over the years and we've had to get someone in to remove them. When they come to the door, they look just like spacemen with all the gear they wear!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #3

Yes I'm afraid I hate wasps too! I am allergic to their sting and have to go to hospital if I am stung. Only been stung once so far!

Nearly every year we get a wasps nest (or two) somewhere. Last year we had 2 - one beside the path to the back door and another in a raised bed at the bottom of the garden. We call the same company every year and they arrive just as Mags describes above! The same chap trots along every year - he's really knowledgeable about wasps and I even got quite interested in them last year (well, nearly!)

Have you ever seen a hornet though? They are scary and very large, bit like a big wasp.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #4

Moli, what kind of nest is it making? Is it a mud-dauber one or a paper one? Apparently it's determined to build in your shed; the catch and release doesn't seem to be working. If I were you I'd get the wasp spray and then spray it at night while it's sleeping; that's what I've done.

I'm allergic to bee/wasp stings also, not the really severe allergy that sends you into anaphylactic (sp?) shock, but I get horrible huge swellings and need to go to the ER for a shot!

We have an enormous hornet here called a cicada killer..I'll see if I can find a pic...it's scary! Almost two inches long!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Have you ever seen a hornet though? They are scary and very large, bit like a big wasp.

LOL, yes! We've just this minute caught one in a jar and put it outside as my brother was having kittens and my pregnant colleague just whisked it into a jar and took it into the car park!

What a wuss he is

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #6

Its scary how it finds it way back quicker than you can get home LOL!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #7

Don't like the sound of the cicada killer, Eileen but it looks handsome enough (yuk ). Does it sting people as well as killing cicadas? By the way, I was thinking about the book "What Katy Did" a while ago and believe that a katydid (sp?) is another name for a cicada. Is that right, do you know?

What a coincidence Yola! Your pregnant colleague must have a very cool head in a crisis and your brother should be ashamed of himself

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #8

Eileen - that is EXACTLY the brute that we had . . . about 2 inches long is about right, and he was that orangey colour. I think it's about the 6th time that they've slung him out only to have to do it again the next day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #9

Moli I'll come sort it out. I'll give it the "look"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Don't like the sound of the cicada killer, Eileen but it looks handsome enough (yuk ). Does it sting people as well as killing cicadas? By the way, I was thinking about the book "What Katy Did" a while ago and believe that a katydid (sp?) is another name for a cicada. Is that right, do you know?

What a coincidence Yola! Your pregnant colleague must have a very cool head in a crisis and your brother should be ashamed of himself
The cicada killer isn't generally a people stinger, will leave you alone if you leave it alone, but can if annoyed and I've heard it's a nasty sting. Katydids are related to crickets; have never heard them referred to as cicadas. Some people still refer to cicadas as 17 year locusts, although they're not related at all to locusts. Here's a katydid, I think they're cute...