Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: grey and black and white
18-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #1

Tom has a sore and runny eye

Tom my newish grey boy has a sore eye, and he was just at the vet at the end of the week with an ear infection caused by mites!

Anyway he was fine last night on going to bed but this morning his eye is running and the white of it is a little swollen, any ideas what it could be?

Angie

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
18-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #2

Re: Tom has a sore and runny eye

Hi Angie. My Des had a sore eye last week. Could be he's been scratched by another cat (or scratched it himself!). I just wiped Des's eye with a little Optrex on a tissue for a few days and it soon cleared up, so you could try that before rushing back to the vets!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
18-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #3

Hi Angie, it might be conjunctivitis, keep an eye on it and if it doesn't settle down then let the vet take a look at it. In the meantime, I'd be inclined to gently bathe it with cooled, boiled water. Do let us know how Tom gets on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #4

It does sound like conjunctivitis. One of my cats regularly get this and I have a store of antibiotic drops. Once adminstered, it usually clears up within 3-5 days.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: grey and black and white
18-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #5

OH has just told me that he seen grit in his eye last night!!
He would have had his eye bathed before I did his ears!! Men!! Will try bathing his eye tonight and see how he is tomorrow, probably will be back to the vet?!

Angie