Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 4 moggies
16-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #1

spinal trauma

hi im new here but a dogsey member for about a year,i have a 14 week old kitten called roxxi that ive had from 6 weeks old.i came home on monday to discover she cant stay upright as she walks her back end swings around and her legs give way.i took her to the vets who suggested a trauma(think she fell off the high bunk bed?) gave her anti inflamm injec and tablets to give her,no better took her back today another injec with a steroid this time and more tabs and go back monday.i go to the pdsa and they have told me they dont do spinal surgery and the outlook is bleak but i have done a little research and it seems there might be hope,she might gain use of the 1 leg that is the prob if the swelling goes down or just with time.vets say highly unlikely a fracture as there is no pain and she can feel her back paws ok.very upset as u can imagine plus its my 6yr old daughters kitten!im just after any advice or personnal experience etc etc. thankyou very much every1

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #2

Re: spinal trauma

Poor little thing. Dont give up on her, these things take time, if she's trying to walk and seems not in pain, just give it time. i would try to rest her, maybe a dog crate would be a good idea.
Dawn.

Catsey Junior

16-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #3

i hadnt thought of that quite where id put it in my little place tho i dont know.it is difficult to rest a kitten though isnt it lol.i left the vets tonight very downhearted but i guess the use of 3 legs would be better than nothing!the other back seems to have response when the vet put weight on it .maybe there's hope!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
16-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #4

Id say there was definate hope.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #5

I think Dawns idea is a good one, she needs to be kept resting as much as possible (obviously difficult with a kitten). Hope the injections help her and that she recovers soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #6

And remember that many cats can cope very well with only the use of 3 legs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #7

Hi...I'm sorry to hear this. Years ago I had a cat that lost use of her tail one evening and screamed in pain. The vet X-rayed and said that she had a slipped disc and that time would heal and she may or may not regain use of it. I penned her and kept her quiet for several weeks and surely but slowly she did regain use of her tail. I would say that if she has sensation in her feet then the outlook sounds good. Once the inflammation has settled, hopefully, she should start to be very much better and on the road to recovery. Do let us know how she progresses x

Catsey Junior

16-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #8

thankyou!!i needed to hear that so much.how do i u/l a pic of her from photo bucket?ive forgotten

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
16-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsinc4
thankyou!!i needed to hear that so much.how do i u/l a pic of her from photo bucket?ive forgotten
Here's the link to how to post your pics

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsinc4
Copy and paste the IMG code into your post