Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-11-2005, 10:41 PM   #1

Crick in my neck!

Crick in my neck!

Am feeling miserable and very sorry for myself at the moment!

I woke up with neck pain over a week ago and thought I had slept in a funny position and that it would wear off. It didnt and I now have pain all down my left arm and in shoulder. I went to the doctors and he said I have displaced one of the spikes at the back of the vertebra
and has put me on Ipobrufen. I am taking that as well as co-codamol and they are not touching it!
I have been unable to lie down and sleep for over a week and am basically feeling grumpy and sorry for myself!
Sorry!
To top if off, I now have a cold and chest infection! Really moany now!
Sorry to moan, just needed to!
Any tips to help with pain. Baths, deepheat, hot water bottle, ice pack etc are not helping!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
09-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #2

Re: Crick in my neck!

You sound like you are really in the wars there Lianne Are you taking time off work, 'cos it certainly sounds like you need to!! Hope you will soon start to feel better.... Did the doc suggest any physio? perhaps see the doc and get some stronger pain relief..maybe something like Volterol may help??

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #3

It never rains but it pours doesn't it Lianne Sorry you feel so lousy.....if I was you I would go back to your doctor and tell him the pain killer aren't touching it, you obviously need something stronger I hope it will start to improve soon........and you moan all you want on here if it makes you feel better, we don't mind

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
09-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #4

Hope it gets better soon, Moan away, you have good reason to....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #5

Take care this doesn't make you seize up into a frozen shoulder.
If the pharmaceuticals aren't working look for an alternative - maybe acupuncture, maybe a TENS?
There is a fabulous masseuse/alternative therapy lady in Wimborne (but not a 'way out' type healer - very down to earth and sensible) who appears to be able to remove pain of all sort. PM me if you'd like her details and think it's worth the miles.

Take care - and don't let it worsen!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #6

I would recommend an osteopath. I've had backache 3 times in my life and each time it has been eased by 3-4 sessions with an osteopath.

For a longer term solution, especially if you're prone to this type of thing, try taking up pilates. Great for core strengthening which will help avoid such things in the future.

I hope your chest infection clears up soon . . . that will need antibiotics to shift . . . has your doc given you some?

Take care!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #7

Agree about pilates.
What's the spin? - your head weighs 7lbs and needs to be positioned exactly and balanced above your spine, which needs to be even and supported equally by the muscles of your legs/bum, which need to be balanced etc etc.
As Yola said it's all about getting your abdominal core strong enough to stop other systems sagging and getting out of balance.

PS - can you treat yourself to an aromatherapy massage? Would be great - ease your muscles and they could add some essenses to help your respiratory system too/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
10-11-2005, 07:49 PM   #8

My OH teaches karate (nothing to do with your pain I know) the thing is you can get a really good type of "deep heat" called Tiger Balm. It doesnt burn the skin like others do. It gets right "in there" I have used it at times for my back and under certain circumstances it works. Oh It's really expencive about 99p a jar! Try your local chemist. If they dont have it they may order it in. We have a family run chemist and they ordered it for me. If you have any problems getting it PM me and I'll send some on to you.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #9

Have seen an osteopath. Her words were 'my god woman what have you been doing'! I wish! I was only sleeping!
Dr has put me on valium now to relieve the muscle spasm. I dont know if it working or if I just dont care whether it hurts or not! LOL.
Thankyou for your replies! Hope I will feel more human soon!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #10

Hope you start to feel better soon Lianne....how's the chest?