Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

cat flu

As you know, im looking at possibly getting another wee cat to keep Harris company, the one thing im not sure of though is if i can actually get 1 due to Harris having cat flu at the age of about 3month, he is 11month now and hasnt had any reoccuring bouts of calisivirus.

Any advice would be great

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Re: cat flu

Cat flu is such a complex disease process with the outcomes dependent on the virus involved and the pathogenesis of the individual strains. Obviously you don't want to put any new cat at risk but as you probably know, not all cats that have had FCV will become carriers and those that do can be latent carriers so will only shed the virus at times of stress. Unfortunately this can be when introducing another cat to the household!
On the other hand there is always the possibility that any cat in a rescue situation may have already be exposed to the virus, it's such a tricky situation isn't it.
I'd speak to your vet and see what they recommend, as well as talking to the staff at the rescue centre as this is something they'll have experience of I'm sure.
You know Harris best, if you think he won't be too stressed by a new friend, I'd go for it!

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #3

He has already been exposed to the stress of moving house when we got him form the cats protection and at that time he showed no signs of the virus eventhough we were told that it would probably trigger it. I need to get Harris wormed anyway so im going to see the vet and ask loads fo questions as i would love for him to have a friend

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

I'd go for it then! If the new furry friend is vaccinated too that will lessen the risk.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #5

thanx for that Im taking Harris to the vets during teh week to get wormed so im going to ask loads of questions then. If he gets the all clear to get another friend for him, we are goingto look after stevens sisters cat for a few days when she is away and see how he gets on with it. Its a female but shes alot older but might give us an idea as to how he would be with another cat in the house

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the info on cat flu PL - I had gathered it was much more complex than people supposed. I still remember my aunt's cat population being decimated by cat flu on a regular basis in 60's.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
14-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #7

Mi cat Tilly is a carrier of the feline herpes virus (which is one of the forms of cat flu) and I got Ziggy and Zia after her to keep her company neither have shown any signs of cat flu. she also has her brother who doesn't show any signs either.

So I would get a second cat if you want one just make sure he isn't actively showing sign when they arrive.

Tilly

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

thanks for that tilly. going t o try book a vets appointment today and see what they think. The sooner i find out the sooner we will know if we can add to the family to keep Harris company. I really think he needs a playmate. He walks about meowing at night but as soon as i pet him, he settles. No wonder im always tired in the morn and i think getting him company might stop this