Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

urgent advice needed

Guys I need help, as I am at a total loss as to what to do next

As you know, I have 3 cats. Broxi, Cooper and Teddie. Borxi and Cooper get on great, Broxi and Teddie ignore each other, Teddie and Cooper.......have a sort of love/hate relationship. Somedays they are the best of buddies, and other days? Well, let's just say fur flies. The problem is that it seems to be getting worse, majorly worse. Cooper chases Teddie all over the house, she's screeching at him and hiding in litter trays, under sofas etc to try and get away from him.

Teddie has now developed stress cystitis. She is on cystaid and I have also been using feliway. It's making no difference to the situation and I really don't know what else to do.

Does anyone have any advice, cause I am at my wits end

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #2

Re: urgent advice needed

I'm so sorry to hear this. And the only thing I could think of is finding another home for your wee girlie, though that's definitely a last resort thing. *hugs*

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Squirrel, you are right, it's a last resort thing, and it would have to be Cooper I rehomed, no way on earth I could part with Teddie after all the fighting we did to keep her alive in her first year. But I really, really don't want to go down that route. I'll try anything and everything first

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #4

Got you! Not knowing the history I was only thinking along the lines of which cats got on best together.

*hugs* Hope you do find some other way of sorting it all out, cause it's heartbreaking to have to rehome a pet, even if it is for health reasons and similar.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

Poor Teddie ~ sounds like she's having a bit of a rough time of it

When you say "love-hate" relationship ~ what bit is the "love" bit as it sounds like they aren't getting on very well & it's getting worse.

As it's now got to the stage that Teddie has developed stress cystitis, I think you may need to consider fairly drastic action, in order to prevent it getting worse & for the sake of Teddie's health.

Is there any way that you can give a Teddie a separate place/room of her own (a "comfort zone") where Cooper can't go? Until Teddie is able to feel safe & relax, & allow the chronic stress she's suffering to abate, then it's likely her health & behaviour will deteriorate. Only by having somewhere safe away from Cooper, where she can sleep properly & relax, look after her own bodily needs & eat & drink, will she start to improve. It may take days, weeks or even a few months, before her behaviour & health start to improve, depending on how long this has been going on.

If you are able to give her a room of her own, it will need to be kitted out with the following:
  • A choice of warm, comfortable sleeping & resting places at different heights & in draft free places.
  • Food & water
  • A scratching post or equivalent
  • Toys
  • A litter tray, as far from the food/water/beds as possible & to be cleaned regularly
  • The company of you & your family, provided that she enjoys this ~ even just spending 5-10 mins playing with her, grooming her, cuddling her, whatever makes her purr, at regular intervals throughout the day.
  • If she gets on well with Broxi, then perhaps after a while, you could allow Broxi into Teddie's "comfort zone"?

The reason I'm suggesting going down this route is because, from your description, Teddie is living a life full of fear & anxiety primarily caused by Cooper's behaviour. Not for one moment am I blaming Cooper & there are also things you can do with him to stop him bullying Teddie. But until Teddie starts to realise that she's got a safe haven where she escape to, then the stress/fear/anxiety won't go away & is likely to get worse. We all know what it's like to live in fear & be constantly stressed, vigilant & unable to relax, & we all know the harmful effects that this has on our health ~ it's no different for animals. So you need to remove the source of the stress before Teddie can start to feel better & her health improve.

With Cooper, it's likely that the reason for his "bullying" behaviour towards Teddie, is because of concerns over whatever he perceives to be important resources. So by increasing the important resources, you may make him feel less worried that there's not enough to go round. By resources I mean the things I've suggested putting in Teddie's comfort zone. And lots of them!! So at least one litter tray per cat (& some behaviourists suggest 1 per cat plus 1 extra), several feeding stations, several water bowls (they don't need to be in the same places as the food), several scratching posts/sites, lots of warm snug hidey holes at different heights, preferably off ground level. Also, you & your family may be important resources to your cats, so you need to try to make time for them all & intereact with them in ways they enjoy. If they love their food, try hand feeding tasty morsels, or cuddling & grooming them.

If possible you'll need to prevent any contact between Cooper & Teddie, whilst Teddie is recovering. But if you can't prevent contact, you must try to ensure that any any encounters are neutral & there's no agression, chasing, traping etc.

Once Teddie's starting to feel better, then there are ways to start reintroductions (via counter-conditioning) that may help prevent a return to the previous aggression.

I hope this helps a bit ~ if you have any queries, or want to provide further info, I'm happy to try to help. An alternative is to perhaps contact a feline behaviourist via the APBC who could visit your house, observe your cats, & try to give more practical help based on your personal circumstances.

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #6

Wondered if you might have more constructive suggestions Wilbar... Even from an observers viewpoint it's interesting to see what you have to say on a subject...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies
07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Wondered if you might have more constructive suggestions Wilbar... Even from an observers viewpoint it's interesting to see what you have to say on a subject...
I'm not sure what you mean ~ sorry if I'm being dense. But I can only respond to the info provided by the OP & I don't know anything about her house, the set up nor am I able to the observe the cats, so I can only give general suggestions & advice from what has been put here. If you care to elaborate, I'll happily try to reply.

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #8

Thank you for all your suggestions Wilbur The love/hate bit, well that's easy. They will sit and groom each other quite happily on numerous occasions, especially Cooper, he is always washing her face. They will lie sleeping together on the sofa etc, and at these times seem the best of friends.

We unfortunately don't have a spare room that can be made just Teddies . At the moment the set up is, 2 litter trays (and nowhere really to put any more), multi height cat tree, food and water bowls in the kitchen, Teddie has her little basket bed on the stairs which neither of the other 2 touch. All 3 cats are indoor only as we live beside quite a busy road. And even if I could let them into the garden, it's easy to escape from.

I will dot food and water bowls about the house, but part of the problem is that Cooper is a very large cat, and whatever the other 2 don't eat, he scoffs. Also I can put cushions on the dining room chairs etc that she can jump up to. I just can't figure out what the catalyst is for this. As I said, it used to happen on occasion, but now it's daily and it's horrible to hear and see

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar
I'm not sure what you mean ~ sorry if I'm being dense. But I can only respond to the info provided by the OP & I don't know anything about her house, the set up nor am I able to the observe the cats, so I can only give general suggestions & advice from what has been put here. If you care to elaborate, I'll happily try to reply.
Sorry... I meant that even with not being able to actually see what's happening for yourself, you always seem to have constructive advice whenever something goes wrong within your area of expertese. Therefore, if something seems to me that it might be to do with behaviour, I'm always interested to see what you have to say on the matter - even if am not likely to come across the problem myself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #10

Another thing you could try is zylkene, it is supposed to be quite helpful in some situations- might even be worth gioving it to both Teddy and Copper, I just wonder if Cooper is feeling threatened in some way and is expressing his anxiety by bullying Teddy.
I have never tried it but I think Liz has used it so she would be able to give more info.
As said I would also increase water, food and toilet stations.

http://www.zylkene.co.uk/whatiszylkene.asp