Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

Re: advice needed please

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this, please try to stay strong. Sometimes CRF cats can look as though it's almost the end but they can rally round.
Can I ask what meds she has been given? Is she eating?

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

This website is a good guide for owners with CRF cats.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

Cats owned: maine coon and a moggy
26-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #13

thanks elaine, will have a read of it xx
she is on benazecare 5mg, i just feel soooo bad, i should have realised sooner she was as ill as this

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #14

Benazecare is indicated for the treatment of congestive heart failure in dogs and the treatment of chronic renal insufficiency in cats.

After oral administration, Benazepril is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and hydrolysed into Benazeprilat, a highly specific and potent inhibitor of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE). Benazeprilat produces significant inhibition of plasma ACE activity for more than 24 hours after a single dose in both dogs and cats. Inhibition of ACE leads to a reduced conversion of inactive angiotensin I into angiotensin II and therefore reduction in the effects mediated by angiotensin II, including vasoconstriction of both arteries and veins, retention of sodium and water by the kidney and remodelling effects (including pathological cardiac hypertrophy and degenerative renal changes).

In dogs with heart failure, Benazeprilat lowers the blood pressure and volume loading effect on the heart. In cats with renal insufficiency, Benazeprilat reduces the protein loss in urine and normalises the elevated glomerular capillary pressure and reduces systemic blood pressure. Reduction in glomerular hypertension retards the progression of kidney disease by inhibition of further damage to the kidneys. Benazepril has been shown to increase the appetite, quality of life and the survival time of cats particularly in advanced disease.

Benazeprilat is excreted equally by both biliary and urinary routes in dogs and primarily via the biliary route in cats and therefore no adjustment of the dose of Benazecare is necessary in the treatment of cases with renal insufficiency. Onset of clinical efficacy can be expected approximately 1 week after initiation of treatment with benazepril hydrochloride.

Ingredients:
Each film-coated tablet contains 5 mg Benazepril Hydrochloride.

Directions:
For oral use only. In both dogs and cats, Benazecare should be given orally once daily with or without food. The duration of treatment is unlimited.

Warning:
Do not use in any dog that has evidence of cardiac output failure, for example, due to aortic stenosis. Do not use in cases of known hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients. On rare occasions in dogs, transient signs of hypotension such as lethargy and ataxia may occur especially at the start of treatment.

In cats with chronic renal insufficiency, benazepril may increase plasma creatinine concentrations at the start of therapy. This effect is related to the therapeutic effect of the product in reducing blood pressure, and therefore is not necessarily a reason to stop therapy in the absence of other signs. As is routine in cases of chronic renal insufficiency, it is recommended to monitor plasma creatinine during therapy.

Do not use in pregnant or nursing bitches or queens, or in bitches or queens intended for breeding. Studies in laboratory animals (rats) have shown embryotoxic effects of benazepril at non-maternotoxic doses (urinary tract abnormalities in the foetus). The safety of the product has not been assessed during breeding or in pregnant or lactating dogs and cats. Benazepril reduces ovary/oviduct weights in cats when administered daily at 10 mg/kg for 52 weeks.

Pregnant women should take special care to avoid accidental exposure because ACE inhibitors have been found to affect the unborn child during pregnancy in humans

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #15

Did they check her blood pressure? Have they checked the T4 count in her bloods?
I am concerned that you mention her heart is under strain but they have only given her benzecare.
Do you have a copy of the blood results or can you call the vet and ask for a copy?

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=38055

Cats owned: maine coon and a moggy
26-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #16

he did give me some numbers and told me things which to be honest i didnt really take in, was a bit shaken,and she was so stressed out after blood test, all i could think of was omg she is dying!! a bit exteme i know but i cant really remember all he said, i will get a copy of the blood test results.
do u think this medicine will not help her??? am more worried now
edited to add
she is also on noroclav for a urine infection

Catsey Veteran

26-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #17

I know exactly how you feel, I was the same when my dear old Winston was diagnosed.
Try not to worry too much just yet, I didnt mean to scare you further.
Did the vet say that her heart was under alot of strain? It might actually be a good idea if you can sit and write out some questions for when you call them tomorrow. Have a note pad and pen to hand as it IS all very overwhelming when your loved pet has been diagnosed with a progressive illness such as CRF.
Ask the vet to tell you what the creatinine and Urea results were, dont panick too much about how high they are at this point in time as they are variable and with proper diet and medication they can be brought down to a comfortable level.
Ask if they checked her blood pressure and her T4 count. CRF and high blood pressure can go hand in hand and the blood pressure must be treated also. The T4 will indicate what may be going on with the thyroid. CRF can mask a hyperactive thyroid and vice versa. If there are any indications of a hyperactive thyroid this too must be treated.
Ask if they recomend a low phos/low protein diet.
CRF is usually a progressive illness and if everything is treated acordingly or as and when they may arise, then she may well be with you for a long time to come. There are no guaruntees and it can often be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. Try not to stress too much, there are many of us here who have been through this and we will all help as much as we possibly can. Never be scared to ask anything regardless of how silly you may think it sounds.
One last tip, raise all food and water bowls so she doesnt have to dip her head too much, reflux and excess tummy acid are common place in CRF cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
26-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #18

I am so sorry to hear about your cat D&Q. I hope that once you have got over the shock of the diagnosis, you will be able to read Elaine's info and take anything that will help you and your cat. (((HUGS)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #19

And please don't blame yourself for not noticing sooner: cats are past masters at disguising illness! (((hugs))) here too, and a gentle cuddle for Charis.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
26-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #20

im so sorry to hear this. and dont blame yourself, my boy was diagnosed with renal failure last year and only started to show symptoms the week before. i really hope that the meds work for Charis, and elaines information was very usefull to me last year, helped understand all the numbers!
keep positive, and keep us updated x x