Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Yearly Vaccinations

What do you think ?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...scol042010.DTL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
18-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Re: Yearly Vaccinations

Makes sense to me .... I've not searched to see what the UK RCVS recommends and, of course, for those who use cattery or kennel, a certificate of annual vaccination is the rule.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

I did a lot of reading after the last 'query' about vaccination. It seems that the yearly vaccine is taken because it is the miminum time an animal has shown to have contracted an illness from its previous vaccine- distemper is now a 3 year vaccine because animals have taken longer between vaccines to contract the disease after vaccination.
There could alway be a lot of research into it but this would mean hundreds of animals being exposed to the various diseases at various times after vaccination ( and the same animal, technically, could not be used again- so would have to be euthanased). It so happens that the myxomatosis vaccine has been proved to lose effectiveness before a year and recommendations are now for it to be done 6 monthly. As far as vaccination and autoimmune disease- it tends to be specific breed who develop this which would indicate that it is a genetic problem- the fact is they are likely to develop this anyway and although the vaccine may trigger it so will a bee sting, a cut or even leptospirosis.
Cats may well develop a sarcoma but it is a very low incidence- much lower than the risk of Felv for example. I know of one cat that has this and it was 15 when it developed it after yearly vaccinations, what would the risk be of it developing an illness it could be vaccinated against over that period.
I am not saying yearly vaccines are the best they can be but if I have a choice of doing this or having hundreds of animals die to do the research into how long a vaccine lasts- I'll go for the yearly vaccine.
Lets face we pump our animals full of chemicals all the time- worming, flea treatment etc, ulimately what's the difference.
I know I will be shot down in flames but this is my opinion.
Some reseach for the other side of the fence-
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...a88b836f7aa7da

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #4

Dr. Fox is definitely opposed to the annual booster shots. I do not nor ever have done them.

I didn't know about the leg now being the preferred injection site: I wonder if Yola's Fifi had shots there......???

Very informaive link, thanks!!!

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #5

The link was on another forum and a lot of people on it from the USA tend to have their pets done 3 yearly, obviously the study is from the USA as well. I wondered what you would think Eileen.
As for shooting you down in flamnes farthing, i hope not.
We all have different opinions and by sharing them i hope we can learn something.
I must admit to feeling very confused, i have always believed strongly in vaccinations for both humans and animals and still do. It's just that reports like this and hearing other peoples opinions make me stop and think.
I wish a knew a vet who would give an unbiased opinion.
I have emailed the RCVS today to ask for their take.

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #6

Oh well done Shelley - I trust you'll let us know when you hear back from RCVS? I too find the whole issue much too complicated really but have been doing some reading on t'internet this afternoon. What I've come up with basically is that problems with vaccination are few and the benefits are many. Given that yearly jabs are vets' bread and butter and also keep the vaccine producers in business, I think that an unbiased view would be very difficult to find.

Edited to say: as my cats are outdoor, until my vet recommends differently, I think I shall go on having Kizzy and Pip annually boosted. Luckily, they don't noticeably react badly. If they did, I would think again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
18-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

I've got the insurance issue there too... if I don't vaccinate it becomes invalid.

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #8

Good point Squirrel - I'd forgotten that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

I feel that being a sanctuary we should vaccinate all animals under the vets advice- ie, they may say in some situations it isn't needed, like the sheep and pigs.
However all rabbits, cats, dogs and horses are vaccinated. I know of a few rescues that have lost half their rabbits due to a virus that can be vaccinated against.

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

I will certainly post any info, if and when the RCVS reply.