Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Urchin needs an injection!

A couple of the cats have had a URTI, possibly stemmed from Jimmy, Helga needed an antibiotic, then the 3 young lads developed it. Mr Tomsk amd Loki managed to recover without vet treatment, Urchin has got really snotty and is now off his food. To be honest I've held back taking him in to the vet in the hope he would get over it himself. I spoke to the vet, who x-rayed and castrated him so know how wild he is, and she agreed it would be a nightmare to take him in, so she is going to give me a convenia injection and a rimadyl injection to try and give him at home. After having my hands shredded yesterday by 2 feral kittens who were taken in for their injections, I am not looking forward to the same thing with him, its also a shame because he is coming round to being stroked and this will probably set him back again.
Anyway, if I'm not on for a week or so, you'll know I can't type after another cat attack!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Re: Urchin needs an injection!

Oh good luck farthing. Don't suppose there's anything you could sneak into his food instead? I expect you/your vet has thought of that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Oh dear!! Chain mail gloves? Seriously, hope it goes well, good luck.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
11-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

I would recommend a crush cage for this less stress for the boy and no shredding for you this is how are ferals are done at the surgery

Our 2 crushers have been adapted by my OH who is an engineer so that big fingers can fit through the wires

Give me a holla if you need to borrow one

Catsey Veteran

11-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

Thanks Liz, I might take you up on the offer if we don't manage tonight. We did discuss a crush cage but I didn't want to take away the only surgery one overnight in case they needed it and I worried about injecting through the bars- its sounds like you have got that sorted though. He is a bit subdued so I'm hoping I can get him jabbed before he realises it. He's actually really small, so I'm not sure if he is younger than we though or is stunted from his bad start in life. Initially we suspected he is about 9 months, but he looks about 6 months to me- not that I'm a great expert on youngsters, I can spot an oldie a mile off.

Catsey Senior

11-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

We use the crusher fro cats from 2.5kgs of whirling dirvish called Storm who is feral and currently sleeping on my knee up Sabrina at 6kgs she is half bengal and as feral as hell after 7 years but does visit the vet she is getting easier to catch just pm me I will be on line for a while

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #7

We didnt manage to do Urchin last night- I blame Mike for this and his optimism. I asked if he wanted to hold or inject, he would hold he said, as went to get a towel to wrap Urchin in, I got back to find Mike with the kitten hanging off his hand, teeth sunk into his finger! Blood everywhere and needless to say Urchin was completely freaked out so we weren't getting near him again. Typical Mike to assume the easiest option and not think things through, he usually gets away with it but not last night and he may be a bit more careful tonight when we have to try again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
12-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

OUCH! Good luck trying again this evening Farthing.

Catsey Senior

12-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #9

Sounds like a couple of vets visits we have had with Boston and Dallas

I have the crusher me thinks it would be easier and the hand may still have skin in the right place - we also use welding gauntlets as they can't get claws and teeth through them

Hope Mikes hands are feeling better and his tetnus is up todate

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #10

Ouch! Good luck for the rematch.

Can you tell me how you get a difficult cat INTO the crusher?