Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #31

Re: Amputation

Best wishes to you from me also. Do let us know how it goes; Sandy never did .......

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #32

I too hope everything went well with Sandy.......... however, may I bring to everyone's notice that this is an old thread which is over two years old...

Catsey Veteran

23-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #33

Oh I noticed that, Mags; hope it proved helpful anyway ..... lots of advice and encouraging stories.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Oh I noticed that, Mags; hope it proved helpful anyway ..... lots of advice and encouraging stories.
Yes, I hope so too Eileen

I hope everything goes well with Nan...

Cats owned: RUSSION BLUE
30-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
Hello folks. my first post, and not a pleasant one: my cat was diagnosed with cancer in her front leg today. The only treatment possible is an amputation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How did recovery go and what degree of quality of life was the cat left with?

Thanks,
Sandy
S
HI SAND
MAMA CAT HAD HER SURGERY ON 12/24/10 AND IS HOME RECOVERING NOW. AM KEEPING THE GROUP UP TO DATE ON MAMA PROCESS . PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING I DO NOT HAVE SPELL CHECK.
AM STARTING TO RELIZE THAT US HUMANS GO THRU A PROCESS OF ARE OWN WITH MAKING DECTIONS IF I SHOULD ARE NOT, IF ONLY MAMA COULD TALK.

I WAITED AND NOW I WISH I HAD HER LEG APATATED WHEN THE RESULTS WERE IN, I DID NOT RELIZE MAMA WAS IN PAIN CATS HIDE IT FROM YOU,
I DIDNT KNOW THAT DAY WHEN I TOOK MAMA BACK TO THE VET IF I WAS GOING TO PUT HER ASLEEP ARE REMOVE HER LEG.....NOW MAMA DONT LIKE GOING TO THE VET OFFICE, BUT WHEN WE GOT THERE TO THE VET OFFICE MAMA NEW AND IT SEEM AS SHE WAS RELIEVED THAT HER HUMAN WAS FINELY DOING SOMTHING.

THE VET EXPLAIN TO ME THAT CATS ARE NOT LIKE HUMANS THEY DONT GRIEVE OVER THE LOST OF THERE LIMB THAT CATS ADAPT VERY WELL WITH 3 LEGS.

SO I AGREE TO HAVE THEM REMOVE HER LEG. NOW SHE IS HOME RECOVERING, AND I AM GLAD THAT I HAD IT DONE WISH I DID IT SOONER. NOW FOR THE PASS COUPLE OF DAYS I HAVE BEEN OVER PROTECTED TOWARDS MAMA WORRIED CONCERN IF I AM DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS FOR HER HEALING PROCESS . THIS IS THE 2ND STAGE OF THE PROCESS US HUMANS GO THRU WORRY. THEN I RELIZE MAMA IS DOING BETTER THAN ME, AND I NEED TO STEP BACK AND CALM MYSELF SO I AM NOT STRESSING HER OUT. AS HARD AS IT IS FOR ME TO LEAVE MAMA AND GO OFF FOR A HOUR TO UNSTRESS ME I DO BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS BETTER FOR BOTH OF US, THATS STAGE 3 AND THAT IS WERE I AM AT NOW,
I DO NOT REGRET TAKING MAMA TO THE VET AND I BLEAVE MAMA IS THANKFULL THAT I TOOK HER OUT OF HER PAIN. WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE MAKE A DECTION SOON TO TAKE HER OUT OF HER PAIN. THIS DEASE GROWS SOME TIMES SLOWLY SOME TIMES QUICK AND CAN SPREAD.

Catsey Veteran

30-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #36

You made the right decision. She's getting better and will cope wonderfully with the loss of her leg. Hope she's doing well today and getting stronger; soon she'll come out from under the day bed.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
31-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #37

Sully had his left front leg amputated when he was 4 months old and has never looked back. He climbs, runs, jumps, plays and snuggles with the best of them! (he's snuggled in my lap right now and wanted to make sure I included that last bit) Cats are amazingly adaptable, so if you end up having to have the surgery done, you kitty will cope just fine.