Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #21

Re: Amputation

Hi Sandy and welcome to Catsey. So sorry to hear your first post such a sad one. Your cat is lovely. I have no personal experience of amputee cats, but I do know that cats adjust very well to their circumstances and if your vet is recommending the op then I would go ahead. I have a disabled cat and although he was born with his disability he manages perfectly well, if a little awkward at times. Good luck and ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #22

Sandy, your girl is simply gorgeous! I agree that if the cancer hasn't spread, go for the operation; she's a healthy cat you said, and should cope just fine!! Please let us know what happens!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #23

Sandy - welcome and good luck. You have received some wonderful advice from colleagues here with 1st had experience. I wish you both all the best.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
29-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #24

Thanks, ladies.

Just had this reply on another forum, it's most heartening. Isn't the internet just great!

"i got a cat that got hit by a car two years ago and he needed his front leg amputated he came from the vet in the afternoon and was jumping on the bed the next day.it took him two and a half weeks all in all for him to recover properly and he still gets up to mischief now and does all the things a cat does hes also great at catching mice and rats."

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
29-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #25

I would also ask them to do a blood test to check her organs will be fine with teh anaesthetic, and also put her on a drip - it is supposed to be beneficial for older cats, they did that with PEbbles.

Catsey Junior

31-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #26

Latest news: the vet has just phoned: the radiologist has sent his report and is unsure about the x-rays. There is a small chance that it may not be cancerous after all. The tumour does not have the typical shape of a cancerous tumour.

Advice of the vet: more painkillers and a course of antibiotics for 3 weeks, followed by another x-ray to see if the size has changed. If it has not reduced in size, or if it has grown, then we go ahead with the operation, since even if it is not cancerous, it is causing her too much pain.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry - I had myself emotionally steeled to have the operation done this week.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
I don't know whether to laugh or cry - I had myself emotionally steeled to have the operation done this week.
.......... and I don't know whether to say 'oh good' or 'oh dear'
I suppose if the outcome is that she remains a quadruped and does not become a tripod then it is good, but I understand and sympathise with your shredded emotions. (hugs))

Catsey Junior

31-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #28

A friend of mine said I'd have to change her name to Tripod -you gotta laugh, eh?

Cats owned: Tabby
23-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #29

Hi Sandy,

We've something in common. Nan was just diagnosed with Cancer and they want to do a leg amputation on Monday. I understand what you are going through. First shock, now sadness. I hope this is the right decision and not going to be too hard for her to recover from. Not sure what the long term prognosis is. I still have a lot of questions for the Vet before we start this process.

Good luck to you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
23-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #30

Just seen this and thought I'd write to wish you well.
One of our cats, Triger (3 legged tiger) had a back leg amputated at 14 months old. He was very sore and swollen for the first week or so, and took a few months to adapt to the stage where I was happy to let him out. He got tired quite quickly for the first couple of weeks, but soon became as fit as the others. He could catch mice, stand on the end of fence post and when he ran, you wouldn't even notice a leg was missing, only thing he couldn't do was sit up on his back leg. Sadly we lost him this year to FIV, but up until that point he was just like any other cat.
We have also fostered a 3 legged cat and our neighbours have one with a missing front leg, he spends most of his time outside, and is semi-feral, but copes just fine.
Initially it is quite upsetting to see the swelling and they are quite sore, but recover amazingly quickly, actually one of my cats had to have an operation to realign his kneecaps and the recovery was a lot longer.
Good luck.