Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
24-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #1

Kitten-Sitting

My neighbour knocked on my door this evening asking if I could watch their kitten until Sunday afternoon. They said that one of their cats had a litter of kittens on the 2nd level of their barn but haven't seen the mom around. When they went to investigate further, they found all but one kitten had passed so decided to bring him in the house.

I figured I could watch the kitten for a short while. They bring him over and to my surprise he is so young!! It's like a flash-back to when I first got Cheddar. I'm thinking he's about 4 weeks old? What do you guys think? His eyes were a bit gunky and red so I put some drops I had from when Cheddar was little. He was also meowing like crazy so gave him some formula. Poor little guy was so hungry. He's now sleeping quietly in his little crate with a bunch of blankets and warm water bottles.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
24-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #2

Re: Kitten-Sitting

Aww he definitely looks way too young to be away from his mother. Has the vet seen him do you know?

Catsey Senior

24-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

I highly doubt it. I live in a rural community and the mentality is much different here. They take care of their barn cats by providing shelter in their barn and feeding but I don't think they take them to the vet and such.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Looks like he could be Cheddar's half-brother! Good luck with this wee one timber-.

Catsey Senior

24-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #5

Do you think he's about 4-5 weeks old? I started to wean Cheddar to soft food at this age. But considering that this little guy wasn't being fed properly, should I go and get him some formula or just give him soft food?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
24-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Going off his paws he looks a bit underweight. You did a great job with Cheddar so I would give formula and a little amount of soft food. Do you think he is related to Cheddar? Could be the same tom. Poor little chap, thank God he's got you.

Catsey Senior

24-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Could be very possible he is Cheddar's half-brother since I have no idea who Cheddar's father is.

When my neighbours get back i'm going to ask if I can find him a home. Hopefully they say yes.

Hypothetically speaking, if they say to go ahead and find him a home, how long is quarantine from the other kittens? How would I know if he's sick and has something contagious?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
25-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #8

I would keep him away from the others for at least 2 more weeks. You could take him to the vet for a health check and the vet may give you a better idea of his age. Keep an eye out for runny noses, runny eyes and runny poo. If he is eating OK he should stay healthy but he is very young. You did it with Cheddar so I have every faith in your cat care. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #9

Wee cutie. Glad someone looking after him

Is there no chance they will get the mum spayed when she returns

Catsey Senior

27-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #10

My neighbours are back and I asked them if I could find the Cheddar-look-a-like a home and they said yes!!!