Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #1

Amaryllis blooming in Summer?

I've gotten amaryllises for years at Christmas, and always put them outdoors in their pots for the Summer so they'll build up their strength & rebloom around Christmas next. Which they do; occasionally one won't, so it gets discarded. This year, I was dumbfounded to see a bud stalk on one, and it bloomed yesterday!! It was "Picotee" a pure white with red edging on the petals. Has anyone ever heard of this? I asked a couple of gardening friends who didn't . Seems so odd; you think of amaryllis like poinsettias...Christmas flowers! This is when I really wish I had a camera...would love to post a picture!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
04-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #2

Re: Amaryllis blooming in Summer?

I am no gardener, but like you thought only at Christmas times, its the only time I get them x

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #3

That is unusual Eileen!

I would love to have seen a pic of it......you really must get that camera!!

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #4

I know, Mags. What I really want isn't made anymore: the Kodak One-Time-Use disposable digital camera. That was so easy to use, no fancy bells & whistles, just point, shoot (delete if necessary) and have all the pics on a CD to upload to the computer. I'ver been doing some research on line, and everything is so complicated...apparently they just don't make a plain simple camera easy to use for a non-techie person. I think I could cope with that thing that you plug into the computer to upload if someone showed me how to do it, but need to know if it would work with a Mac.....sigh...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
04-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #5

Never seen that either DM you must be doing something right to get it to bloom now

Catsey Veteran

05-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #6

The odd thing is, I'm not doing anything differently from years past...just put them outside, water if needed & bring in in the Fall...they bloom around the Holidays. Why this one decided to bloom in August is beyond me...wonder if it will bloom again in the Winter? It's 4 or 5 years old; maybe this is its "last hurrah"...??? Anyhow, it's nice to see it on the patio...odd, but nice...