Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

Re: I've got a broody hen - I think

How exciting.... Catsey chicks coming (maybe)!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #12

Thought I'd do a quick update.

Martha was being bullied in the general coop so she was moved into the ark last wednesday. She had accumulated a few more eggs as the others were jumping in to lay when she had got off for food and drink.

I left the eggs she had until Thursday night to make sure she was still sitting.

Thursday evening I removed the selection she had and replaced them with 7 eggs - 2 each from Beryl, Matilda and Hilda and 1 from Mavis.

Have looked up feather colour and genetics on the net and it would appear that Black is dominant so as Jack is black I assume all the chicks will be black too.

SHe is siting tight, comes out now and again for a little break and goes back. Seems to be quite happy.

I have been worried she would overheat so have tied the parasol to the trees above the ark to shade her from the sun in the warmest part of the day. OH just walks about shaking his head.

Eighteen days to go!!!!

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #13

I suppose it's a bit daft of me to be so excited about this ... but I think it's soooo cool!

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I suppose it's a bit daft of me to be so excited about this ... but I think it's soooo cool!
DM - I am trying to be quite adult and matter of fact about this but I am failing miserably - I can't wait!!!!

Just hope all goes well and she sits for the duration and the eggs are fertile and the chicks hatch out and they survive and ...........

So I am trying hard to keep it fairly low key. I do agree though it is so cool.

Do you know what I love just now? When she comes off the nest she chucks away quietly to herself the whole time. A totally different noise from anything I've ever heard her make before. It is such a contented sound.

Catsey Veteran

23-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #15

All I can say is Awwwww!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #16

AWWWWW with knobs on from me too - I wonder if you could get a photo of her sitting, CM???? Without disturbing her of course .............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
24-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #17

Awww I'm really excited too!
When I was little we had parakeets and finches as pets and of course the eggs laid were unfertilized but I had a belief that if I kept it warm and talked to the egg and concentrated all the love I had on it, that it would hatch into something. My mom used to get mad at me for doing this so I would sneak an egg up to my room when I could and make it a nest complete with heating pad and I would pray for it to hatch. It never did so as you can see I am reliving my childhood here over the excitement of it all

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #18

This is lovely news CM, and some thing I'm going to watch closely as we used to keep hens 20 odd years ago before we moved here. Ceri was into breeding purebreed birds, and I loved looking after them. Kept a little trio of Welsummers and another of Marans. Also, 36 warren layers for the egg harvest.

Good luck, soooo excited. Nice to have this to take my mind off my troubles

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #19

I'd love some chicks, but not allowed a cockerel here (too built up lol). and dont have the funds for incubators and such, so looking forward to seeing these babies . On a plus note I am looking to get 2 more chickens soon, so hopefully will get some younger ones

Catsey Veteran

24-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #20

OK folks here is the lovely lady herself. Don't think she was overly impresed with me poking a camera at her.

Martha

Proud Dad
Jack

Martha's des res