Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #11

Re: Colour theme for Christmas table

I think red, green and gold make a nice theme for the Christmas dinner table Kazz .......... your pic of last year's looks beautiful.

I do hope you manage to persuade "Dad" to come to you, it is so difficult being his
first Christmas following his bereavement........ I have been through it with my father and an uncle, it is such a sad time for them but they shouldn't be on their own

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
06-12-2006, 11:43 PM   #12

I think to make an older person feel welcome a traditional green/gold/red combination can't be beaten. It will hopefully make them feel festive enough to overcome their sadness for a few hours.

Last year I did silver and red and gold . . . looked lovely and sparkly especially as we did it all by candlelight (scuse mismached chairs and plates - it's a passion of mine to have non-matching things ). It was traditional, but with a twist.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	274  

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
07-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #13

Beautiful tables both of you, I hope you manage to get Dad over to yours, I love the idea of reds, greens and golds.

Mine is normally mismatched too - if its homely and inviting that is all that matters x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #14

Your table looked gorgeous last year Yola! We have got rid of our big dining table and only have our antique drop leaf table to use now, so no great effects going to be created here this year I have decided on a silver theme this year but there will only the four of us for Christmas lunch this year so no need to stand on ceremony

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #15

Both of those tables looked lovely. I hope you manage to get your FIL to come, I'm sure being part of a family gathering will be better for him than sitting on his own brooding. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #16

I think traditional is the way to go Kazz. Poor man, the first christmas is so, so difficult following a bereavement isn't it? Both of your tables look lovely. I tend to go for a bit if a mish mash I'm afraid.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #17

Thanks all very much, I will try but he really is sad. Dave's Mom was such a christmas person - she belonged to an amature dramatics group too and was always in panto mood or Gilbert and Sulivan mood, I think he is missing all that she was disorganised yet lovely lady.

Will try though Dave's sister is trying to get him to hers as well but she remarried last year and his Dad said it does not feel like he is welcome as its his Son In laws house they moved into.
Mind you here is my house but he said previously to Dave and is wife before she died apparently "Karen's is like my parents home used to be when I was a lad, always someone coming and going and she turns the telly off when you go round and always remembers how many sugars in my tea" So I may have a chance.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #18

It sounds very like to me Kazz, that you are the next best person he'd like to spend time with after his late wife......... he feels very comfortable in your house and can relax.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #19

Maybe so, his brother has also invited him for Christmas, and he may well go there I have a feeling he might they are close, his sister in law was best friends with his wife and I think he may feel less under pressure to "perform/put on an act" so to speak. Be more himself - if you understand Dave has said if thats the case then he will go there with his Dad in case he wants to go home as they live in northumberland, and if he wants to go Dave wil bring him home.
I don;t mind where he spends Christmas as long as he is at least alright.
Karen