Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
30-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

New kitten... needing tips!

This may be a bit of an essay...

When i was out in the garden one day i found 3 kittens and the mum under my shed... since then i have agreed to have 1 of the kittens and the rest have been rehomed.
We think that she is around 8-9 weeks...

I got her (back from the man who was rehoming them) last night, and she is staying in my room at the moment.
I'm a little worried about her tho

- She won't really eat
I put iams kitten buscuits, a felix wet pouch, and water down, none of which she was interested in... I then put kitty milk down and she has gulped it down... but i've heard that they shouldn't have too much as it will give them the runs :S
She ate a few buscuits after i dipped them in milk.

- She won't play
i have a few toys, she is scared of the ones that make noise, and i have a fishing rod, which she is also not interested in.

-Sleeping!!!
All she wants to do is sleep... she has a cage with a teddy and blankets in, and she is just hiding behind the teddy and sleeping, i tried to lift her out, but she just ran back to bed.

Anyone have any ideas to make her eat more or to get her more social??
Thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
30-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #2

Re: New kitten... needing tips!

She's frightened! She's in a new, strange place and she doesn't feel secure. Don't try too hard, she will be stressed having one toy or another pressed on her and expecting her to play with it. I think you're expecting too much too soon.

She needs a warm, secure place that she can investigate at her own pace, some peace and quiet. My Molly hid under the blanket box for nearly 3 days when we got her. Have you introduced her to a litter tray? Make sure it's not next to her food as cats can be quite fastidious and don't toilet and eat in the same area.

Lots of patience needed. Why is she in a crate by the way? Most domestic cats have nice snuggly beds.

By the way, welcome to Catsey! Others will be along shortly with some more ideas.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

I agree with MrsH above. Your kitten is just scared and also missing her mum and siblings. If you can't be sure about her age, it may be that solid food is too much for her atm. It is a good idea to give her biscuits in milk as a starter - little and often if at all possible.

Just allow her to be quiet and help her feel secure and let her come to you and play etc. at her own pace.

Welcome to Catsey - please do let us know how you get on with her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
30-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

As MrsH has said I think mainly what the problem is, is that she is really very nervous and frightened (bless her), she has been taken away from her family and dosen`t know what is safe and what isn`t.
I think that you just need to give her a little space to get used to the surrounding area at her own leisure so that she builds up her confidence, make sure that you are still moving around doing your usual activities so that she can also get used to you being around and moving about.
She should soon get used to everything with a little bit of patience and then you will have your hands full

30-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #5

She's not just in a crate, she has a bed, litter tray and food and water in there, its just because i though it was best to have a cage as i can lock her in (it is definately big enough for her) if needed...

Yes, she has found the litter tray and used it which i'm very pleased about... one less worry

A little more info... she has been staying with a man for the past two weeks with the mum and her sisters, and he has gave me the food which he says she has started to eat.~
I also have two dogs so she is in my room at the moment so we are able to introduce them slowly (anyone have any tips on the best way to do this?)

Thanks for all the tips!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
30-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

When we got Maxi and Maisy, we kept Zara and Zimba our 2 dogs in the conservatory with the door open and a childs safety gate across so they could see them and smell them and just get used to them being there.
Then as they got used to each other they just used to jump over the gate to go in and see them which they did at their own pace.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
30-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #7

Bless her she is just a baby and babies sleep alot/ Kitten milk is more of a food than a drink, as for playing just give her time. It's very traumatic for them when they are taken from mum and siblings, just be patient and give her a cuddle for me

Global Moderator

30-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #8

Welcome to Catsey

You've received very good advice from our members above, your kitten has just arrived in your home and is scared and very unsure.

You say she has been staying with a man for the past two weeks with the mum and her sisters ......... do you know if the mum was a stray cat before he had them?

It is important that the kitten is checked over by your vet (as most new kittens are) to make sure she has a clean bill of health, she may also need worming but the vet will advise you on that.

By the way, what are you calling her?

30-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #9

The Mum was a stray as she had been hanging around, but we asked around and nobody knew who's she was :S
However are quite sure she was domesticated at some point as one we caught her and brought her into the house she seemed quite at ease, and happily sat on my lap. The man said she had probably ran away due to the fact that she had not been done.

We took them to the vets when we first caught them and the man who has been taking care of them ( we didn't take them as it was too much to have all 4 cats to take responsibility for) said that he has already wormed her so she is ok on that front.

And Roxy... My mum wanted to call her tinkerbell but i was dead against it, and seems as she's living with me in a few years when i get my own place i have the deciding vote
Thanks

Global Moderator

30-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #10

That's good, I'm sure Roxy will settle in fine with you, she just needs a bit of time, patience and adjustment to her new surroundings.

Please keep us updated on how she is settling...