Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
15-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #31

Re: What do you feed your cats?

Sarah, this isn't the case with Iams anymore, If it was even true to begin with (it's been going on that long). It's a propaganda thing that PETA started a long time ago and keeps getting brought to the public eye again and again.

My cats are fed Iams and since they are happy and healthy on it and I have heard from the horses mouth as it were that this propaganda is just not true any longer and I am dubious if it was in the beginning, I have kept them on Iams.

This is my reason why which I posted in another thread :

Quote:
I think like with any reporting you have to take it with a pinch of salt and see where there bias is.

The Iams/Eukanuba debate has been raging for some years now and the information that keeps coming to light is several years old. I actually found out something interesting on my last visit to the vet.

All the vets at my practice are fantastic and I trust them implicitly. The one who my girls saw for their vaccs was chatting to me about diets and I commented that I wanted to change them from Iams because of the recent revelations about their practices and he asked where I'd gotten the information.

I'd been given a flyer from Petsathome store that was distributed by PETA and the pictures were shocking. So shocking, I remembered seeing them on a different campaign leaflet years earlier. So that made me uncomfortable but hey ho, I still wasn't going to feed my cats Iams if it was true.

Anyway, my vet said that this is something that keeps coming round - it goes quiet for a year or so then gets brought up again. It started several years ago when it could have been true and they used outside labs to develop food which they had no control over.

There is no way to tell now but today it certainly isn't. And he knows this for definate as one of the previous vets (who was great with my girls) from the surgery who they are still in close contact with went to work with Iams as an animal care vet with their colony.

He said she is passionate about animals and just would not be able to condone their colony being treated like this. In fact she gets very upset at the calls she gets of abuse from people every time this is sent into the public eye again.

So I decided to take the advice from someone in the know rather than a propaganda leaflet.

Just as an aside, the surgery don't use Iams as their 'preferred food' so it's not like he had any alterior motive for explaining the situation to me.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
15-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #32

Oh right thanks for that Grete, pleased to hear it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
15-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #33

Grete does it keep going around so that people are aware of what they are doing though?? Or is to say they have done it in the past and don't any more because I would think they would issue a statement following that to say so and I would like to read that just to be sure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
15-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #34

They have repeatedly stated that it is not the case NOW and that in the past they have used outside laboratories where these incidents have taken place and had no control over - as soon as they were made aware, they stopped using them. But people don't want to listen and prefer to believe what PETA say because well, if they say so, it must be true cos they have pictures and everything. Even if they are used on several different campaign leaflets.

I posted a link a while back from the ASPCA - here it is again http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...iams_statement

Here is IAMS statement http://www.iamsco.com/iamstruth/en_U...RP&articleID=6

I never believe anything I see written on face value, especially from somewhere that is going to be strongly biased - I do believe something when I hear it from someone I know and trust and is actually there, performing that role.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
15-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #35

All have Royal Canin biccies - kitten for the kitten and sensible for Q & P. The boys have Applaws and Almo Nature in Jelly and Pousse has Felix

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
[/i][/b]

Tell me more???
You don't want to know! Not very nice, especially for cats.

I feed dry but with fresh cooked meat, usually chicken fish or prawns e.t.c. They get enough from the meat really but the dry is basically just a filler and helps firm their poo.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
15-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grete
They have repeatedly stated that it is not the case NOW and that in the past they have used outside laboratories where these incidents have taken place and had no control over - as soon as they were made aware, they stopped using them. But people don't want to listen and prefer to believe what PETA say because well, if they say so, it must be true cos they have pictures and everything. Even if they are used on several different campaign leaflets.

I posted a link a while back from the ASPCA - here it is again http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...iams_statement

Here is IAMS statement http://www.iamsco.com/iamstruth/en_U...RP&articleID=6

I never believe anything I see written on face value, especially from somewhere that is going to be strongly biased - I do believe something when I hear it from someone I know and trust and is actually there, performing that role.
I saw some videos a few years ago which PETA had taken from Iams labs when I was doing some research for uni. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone who loves their animals to watch them, as for PETA, they are just as bad!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 magical moggies
17-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #38

Well my furries have a good selection of food in the cupboard

Jefferson has Hills CD as he gets crystals and I alternate each order with either chicken or ocean fish flavour

Xena is on Hills Anti Hairball diet

Gabrielle, Willow and Elsa were on James Wellbeloved but after they changed recipes they all went off it so they are now on Purina and have a choice of their flavours and seem happy on it.

They occasionally get fresh meat or Tuna as a treat but they are not fussed about treats to be honest.