Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #1

Drying a cat...

Im going to give Oliver his first bath this afternoon. He didnt smell very nice when i first got him, but he couldnt be bathed coz he had cat flu! He is now a healthy kitty (and doesnt really smell anymore) and i think i should bath him.

Any suggestions to how i dry him??
Ive turned the heating on, so he doesnt get cold after his bath...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #2

Re: Drying a cat...

I would wrap him in a towel and rub him, till all the excess water is gone, then just let him sit and preen himself...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

I have never bathed Cassie in 9 years as I have never felt the need for it.
I suppose in exceptional cases some cats get very dirty and need it....also for those who show their cats......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #4

I've had cause the bathe 2 or my persians (claggy waggies usually) . . . I usually try to do it in summer, but if I have to do it in the cold weather I do partially dry them with a hairdryer on a medium setting as their fur takes an age to dry off.

If you do use a hairdryer, make sure you keep moving it all the time so as not to scald kitty's skin with the heat.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #5

I also have never had an occasion to bathe Jet, she is nearly 3 years old.

There have been occasions when she has been soaked by the rain. I have a special towel I use for this. When she sees me with it she runs but i trail it on the ground and she chases it. I then throw it over her and continue to play with her while drying her down at the same time.

I do get a few cries of anger but she is used to it and generally accepts it.

Almost a Veteran Member

01-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #6

Oli had had his bath now (and didnt like it one bit!!) and is lovely and dry. I rubbed him wih towels gently, then let him lie on his blanket on the sofa to preen himself. We then fell asleep together, on the sofa, coz the flat was so nice and warm (after putting the heating on for him)!

His fur is lovely and silky, must be he Johnsons Baby Shampoo! Thanks for the advice everyone

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
02-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #7

What was it you used as a shampoo for the cat, Johnson's baby shampoo.

Just wondering as I have never seen cat shampoo in the shops and wondered what people use.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #8

Andrew - there are some pet shampoos on the market. I have a mildy medicated one that I use when needed. You do need to take care with human-formula shampoos, but as long as they're not used often then the cat should be OK.

One word of warning, tea-tree shampoo has in the past proved very bad for cats; deadly in some cases. This is definitely one to avoid using on cats.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #9

Bathing a cat should not be done too often as it removes the natural oils from the skin. If you use shampoos not suitable for cats then you may damage the coat and skin. The oils that are in your cat's coat are there to help in waterproofing and insulation.

You should be able to find pet shampoos in your local pet store.....

Almost a Veteran Member

02-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #10

On all the pets we have had, we have always used Johnsons baby Shampoo, 'no more tears'!! There is no tea tree oil in it and it is very gentle. My kitty also smells beautiful now (as well as having a lovely shiny coat!)