Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: bengal
17-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #1

long haired cats.. how often do u groom

i was just wondering how often u guys with long haired cats groom ur cats.

i work in kennels which also has cattery space of 8 catteries. anyway, we get quite alot of long haired cats in and i have to say, 80-90% of them have matted fur it makes me so sad to see these poor cats with their fur all matted. we had to brush one of these cats and the fur was so matted his skin tore we brushed him over the course of a week and only got half the mats out, even with clippers. i cant believe people let their cats get in such a state, and their excuse is usually 'oh hes not up to it', or 'hes getting old'.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Re: long haired cats.. how often do u groom

All of my cats are short haired. I'm sure some of the other members with long haired cats, especially the persian owners on here may be able to offer you advice. I would imagine that if the hair was so matted the cat may need sedation or GA to have the hair sorted out?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
17-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #3

I have to do mine every day otherwise mats will form. If a mat is too close to the skin it is best to be clipped otherwise the skin may tear. Also, sometimes I can get up in the morning and a huge mat could have developed on one of them - doesn't necessarily mean if a cat has a mat it hasn't been combed.

The kind of comb used is also a major factor - I think I have every one on the market - have now finally settled on a plain steel comb! - typical eh

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #4

My two exotics have semi long hair that is very dense, I brush them every couple of days...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
18-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #5

mine are semi long hairs and i brush them only about 1s a week sometimes less but thats only cos they have an easy care coat if i feel any knots then i sort them out there and then i do brush there tials more often cos they can be trouble

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
18-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #6

I brush Thomas every day - he has a fairly long but also very thick coat, which seems uncontrollable at the moment with his excessive moulting! I have found a steel comb best for doing underneath - the teeth kind of twist if they hit a knot so it doesn't hurt him and he tolerates it reasonably well. His back and tail I use a slicker and then a soft baby brush which he loves - he tries to brush his own face with the baby brush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyshandy
Also, sometimes I can get up in the morning and a huge mat could have developed on one of them - doesn't necessarily mean if a cat has a mat it hasn't been combed.
That is so true. So many times I have felt like a bad mummy because I have found a matted bit of fur in Thomas' groin or armpit area but I know I did that area the night before. The conditioner I have started using for him has made his fur so much nicer though - less knotty and smells 'clean' (not perfumed but not the nomal 'eau de litter tray'! )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
18-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #7

i do both of my persians daily, even though one is a semi-longhair

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
18-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #8

I do Fifi most often; ever 2 or 3 days as she has very thick hair which matts easily. Darcy about onc a week - usually as he gets mega-stressed and (thankfully) doesn't tangle too much anyway. Balie is an 'as and when'. He has sleek fur - albeit long, which really doesn't tangle at all.

Having said that - if I feel they have a knot when I'm stroking them I will get the comb out and de-tagle right away as I have experience a tiny knot getting so out of control that it got huge very quickly and needed to be cut out.