Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #1

Dandruff

I wondered if anyone had an answer for dandruff in cats - have just brushed/groomed Cleo and noticed she has dandruff - never noticed before I wonder if this is a spring thing loosing her winter coat (unless they don't do that due to living i a centraly heated house) any answers?

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM   #2

Re: Dandruff

Sometimes Misty is a bit like that but notice it more on her as she has black fur. She seems to get it in fits and starts, but no idea why. Sorry!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH & DLH Tabbies
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #3

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for dandruff but Thomas is definitely loosing his winter coat - it is everywhere at the moment! Saying that though, we never have the central heating on, so he will able to feel the natural temperature fluctuations so I'm not sure that answers any of your questions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #4

One of my dogs always gets terrible dandruff when shedding her coat. She never has it at any other time so for her it must be a change of coat thing. All the dogs and cats (except Maud) are losing their coats at the minute

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
10-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #5

I always put a teaspoon (table spoon for dogs) of oil in their food, stops dandruff, hope this helps

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #6

Ginger has dandruff, and most of my fosters get it. The vet said Gingers was down to him sleeping under radiators. There is a supplement called Viacutin you can get from the vet - Candice has used it, I keep forgetting to pick mine up (although my vet told me of something similar that was cheaper). His is really bad at the mo, so am going to have to pick something up on Thurs for him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #7

Rosie gets a lot of dandruff, but being black means we probably notice it more. Caleb, our new greyhound x has dandruff and when I mentioned it to the vet she suggested cod liver oil and oil of evening primrose capsules. We managed to get that combination in a capsule, so suppose it might help cats too! They will have a shiny coat anyway!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #8

Mau Mau is black and white and I noticed today when she came home to us that she is deff. losing her winter coat and has white specks like dandruff, wasnt sure what it was, her coat is soooo glossy thought it may of been dust from the Dogs/Cats Home x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
12-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #9

Jet is the same (I posted this topic in another thread). As she is black it is more distinct, it seems to be on her back.

She is also losing quite a bit of hair.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #10

Thanks all. I will put it down to age and the fact she doesn't venture far from the radiators these days.

Thanks